Car Insurance won't bring car back

Hi. A couple of weeks ago my car was bumped into outside my house. The person admitted liability and so my car was taken away to get fixed at a garage 60 miles from my house. I have now been told that my car is ready to be picked up. They are expecting me to go on a 120 mile round trip to pick it up at my expense. I phoned my insurance company and they said it's up to the garage if they will deliver it or not and they said they won't. I don't feel I should be out of pocket for something that wasn't my fault. What should I do?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,999
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You pay for the journey. Keep the receipts and put them in as out of pocket expenses to be claimed off the other party.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,837
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If the garage delivered it how would the employee get back to the garage?

Our car delivered from the repairer over 100 miles away but we had no way of getting there as we are in a rural area with no public transport.

Our insurance did eventually agree to cover the cost of an employee to bring it to us and we drove him to the nearest station 20 miles away , where ho got the train back.

The insurer who paid for the repairs would have to agree to it.
  • G-lad
    G-lad Posts: 8 Forumite
    The car was picked up from my house on the back of a flatbed pick up truck. I don't see why they can't bring it back the same way. It was the insurers decision to take it to there so surely they should be responsible for getting it back.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    sheramber wrote: »
    If the garage delivered it how would the employee get back to the garage?

DSCF2012.JPG
  • This should form part of your claim against the third party.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,837
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    G-lad wrote: »
    The car was picked up from my house on the back of a flatbed pick up truck. I don't see why they can't bring it back the same way. It was the insurers decision to take it to there so surely they should be responsible for getting it back.

Then argue your case with the insurer. That'a what I did and eventually they agreed.
  • G-lad
    G-lad Posts: 8 Forumite
    Thanks for all your replies. After several people passing the buck the insurance company eventually agreed to pay for it to be delivered back to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure