worried about appeal because father-in-law is employer

Hi,
My husband left me on 10 November and the following morning I went to his father to say that it would be difficult to work with him now and father-in-law said, don't worry about it, you won't be and he handed me a redundancy letter, wages for 6 weeks and stat. redundancy. I'd been there 4 years.

A week later he sent me an amended letter which indicated we had a redundancy meeting, and that he'd explained the downturn in business. The meeting never happened. He also offered me the right to appeal. I wrote that I wanted to appeal and gave him very general reasons. He's written back giving me a date next week and has told me my mother-in-law would be taking notes, and there will be an independent consultant present.
Do I have to go to the appeal. I can't take a fellow employee as they now work under my husband, and I can't specify the reasons because it is a crooked family business and I will be giving them information and they will just change the facts to suit themselves. I'm not in a union. Can you give me any advice please?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    What do you want out of this? It reads that you don't want to work there but you're appealing because ... well, you don't know why.
  • What do you want. You said you couldn't work there so by making you redundant you would be getting more money than if you quit. Also if you quit you will lose entitlement to benefits

do you want to still work there?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure