Travelling alone

I'm strongly thinking about taking a 12 month working visa in Aus. It's basically now or never for me and I don't want to look back and regret it.

I'm a very shy person (to begin with) and don't tend to get involved in things much unless pushed, so I'm wondering if going solo would literally make or break me? I never hear of people who go out on their own and don't like it but I'm always worrying about what could go wrong.

I'm 25 btw.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So if invited on a weekend trip down the Great Ocean Rd, would you say yes or I'm staying in to watch a box set of the Real Housewives of Melbourne or similar?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I travel to the US and Europe alone 7/8 times a year. Always alone for various lengths of time. I love it!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • El_W
    El_W Posts: 22 Forumite
    I travel to the US and Europe alone 7/8 times a year. Always alone for various lengths of time. I love it!

Do you stop in hostels?
  • I stayed in hotels but sometimes wished i had stayed in a couple of hostels , especially in Cairns as the people i met had a great time in Hostels, Loads of single people backpacking in Australia and meeting on tours etc. I never had a quiet night in Cairns, Port Lincoln or Adelaide, always met someone or a group of people to hang with..... Sydney was quite boring though.
  • jazz
    jazz Posts: 9 Forumite
    We are old but stay in some great hostels in Oz - (we have a private room though not a dorm) but the kids there seem to have a great time. Always something to do, people to chat to, film rooms and some have pools. If you get to Hervey Bay stay at Flashpackers, best hostel we have ever stayed in.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    El_W wrote: »
    Do you stop in hostels?

Only if they have private rooms, I haven't stayed with strangers nor want to. I go for budget hotels. Cheap as possible
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Go for it. I know friends who put off going for ages for similar reasons but met other more outgoing people on their travels and got dragged alone into things and think its the best thing they've ever done. I've not done a long trip travelling alone, but have often done shorter breaks and love it. It can be scary at times - but the rewards outweigh the fear you may have now and again. Would definitely advocate staying in hostels so you will meet people
  • I travelled around Oz for 7 weeks (was at one point tempted to do the working holiday but unmed and arred for ages and just decided to go on holiday.

If you want to go for the year I'd have a fair bit of money behind you - it's not cheap out there (and when I went 2 years ago nearly it was over $2 to the pound, I think it's $1.60 ish so will cost a fair bit more still. I think a lot of the jobs are farming/ hospitality but you can get some jobs that will give you accommodation. There's a lot of nannying jobs too but there not brillantly paid, but you can save up to help you travel more.

I loved Oz though. You can stay in cheap hostels - I stayed at the asylum hostel in cairns which was really cheap but basic and did the job. I'd also definately make sure you have time to travel too as there's lots to see and go. And go on the Great Barrier Reef - it's amazing!
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • El_W wrote: »
    I don't want to look back and regret it.
    This

If you get out there and hate it there's nothing stopping you from getting on a plane and coming home at any time. At least you know you will have tried.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There are some really inspirational channels on YouTube from people who finance their globe trotting by creating video content wherever they go. They are really good for destination ideas, travel advice and budgeting.

Some to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FunForLouis
    https://www.youtube.com/user/PsychoTraveller
    https://www.youtube.com/user/soniastravels
    https://www.youtube.com/user/nayders07

...but there are loads more.

The most important thing is to have a realistic budget. There are many people who head off with a plan to travel around the world in 12 months but end up spending all of their money in the first few weeks and have to phone the Bank of Mum and Dad to pay for a flight home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure