Cash advice for 5 month USA Trip

Next February my wife and I will begin a 5 month trip around the USA.

We have a relatively large sum of cash saved up (circa £35,000) to pay for hotels, food etc.

What do people think is the easiest and most savings efficient way to access our money?

We will be taking some as dollars, but obviously it is too large an amount to take as all cash.

I am aware there are cards which you can preload with money and I already have a Post Office credit card for when we have been on 2 week holiday's abroad.

We will need to be able to withdraw cash at times, but for the most part I would rather use plastic.

Any ideas and advice gratefully accepted!

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Check out the Halifax Clarity credit card.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have no idea about the money side of things, but have a great time, I would love to do that.
    Tell us about it when you get back.
  • Halifax Clarity credit card or similar.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/travel-credit-cards

Take back ups.

Seek out credit union ATMs - often free to withdraw when others charge.

If you're an AA member take your card with you as you'll get cheaper hotel rates with it.

Make sure your travel insurance is adequate for such a trip. And car hire excess waiver insurance.

Have a fabulous trip!
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As suggested halifax clarity card and some back ups.
    Not in the same league but we spent 3 week in USA during summer. Used halifax clarity card, nationwide credit card for nearly everything. As back ups we had a Nationwide flex plus current account card,Norwich and Peterborough current account card and a revolut card. Would also have used take the supercard but we left the day the old one expired.
  • Thanks to everyone who has replied. It seems we have a clear winner with the Halifax card.

As its a creditcard wouldn't there big charges for cash withdrawals though?
  • Just come back from 3 weeks in the states, nationwide credit/debit card work very well.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Richie_D wrote: »
    There are no charges with the Clarity, only the daily interest which starts immediately for withdrawals but it's relatively insignificant and stops when you pay off the balance asap. Note however that any payments towards your balance will pay off any unpaid amount from your last statement before paying off your cash withdrawal.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Richie_D wrote: »
    Next February my wife and I will begin a 5 month trip around the USA.

We have a relatively large sum of cash saved up (circa £35,000) to pay for hotels, food etc.

What do people think is the easiest and most savings efficient way to access our money?

We will be taking some as dollars, but obviously it is too large an amount to take as all cash.

I am aware there are cards which you can preload with money and I already have a Post Office credit card for when we have been on 2 week holiday's abroad.

We will need to be able to withdraw cash at times, but for the most part I would rather use plastic.

Any ideas and advice gratefully accepted!

Completely unrelated to your question, but the trip sounds fantastic. How have you got around the 90 day visa-waiver limit? Did you apply for a visa and if so which one? (considering a similar trip so just wondered)

IQ
  • Richie_D wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who has replied. It seems we have a clear winner with the Halifax card.

No cash advance fee.

No foreign currency fee.

Interest at c4p per £100 per day outstanding.
  • eDicky wrote: »
    There are no charges with the Clarity, only the daily interest which starts immediately for withdrawals but it's relatively insignificant and stops when you pay off the balance asap. Note however that any payments towards your balance will pay off any unpaid amount from your last statement before paying off your cash withdrawal.
    thanks, I will be getting the Clarity card now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure