Real-life MMD: Should I share utility switching cashback?

Comments

• koru
    koru Posts: 1,494
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do as you would be done by. This is usually a good guide to ethical dilemmas.
    koru
  • I think you would be completely entitled to keep the money, because you took the initiative and made the effort, and your housemates are benefiting from what you did quite apart from the cashback.

If you have qualms of conscience, you could get in some beer and pizzas or buy something nice for the communal spaces of the house with the money, but IMO that's going the extra mile, not your duty. The £30 won't go far if you simply split the cash anyway.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • I would keep it. The bill is in the OPs name so if any of the other housemates skip out without settling their share of the bill, this money can act as a bit of a buffer.
  • irishjohn wrote: »
    Look at it this way - another housemate goes off to Mr T to buy house share items, eg Instant Coffee - large jar. He finds it is on BOGOF so brings back two jars - He puts one jar in the cupboard for communal use and keeps the second one to take into work to use for his coffee breaks? Does that sound fair to you? If it does then by all means keep the £30 - if it doesn't then I would hope the £30 goes into the communal pot of cash to pay the utility bills,

While this may sound comparable, I don't think it is. In the case of the coffee, the housemate has used communal funds to bag him/herself a freebie (and even that would, I think, be a grey area morally as the housemate has done the shopping and done so astutely). In the case in point, the housemate has taken the initiative and done something which costs him/her effort and everyone else nothing, and saved everyone else money into the bargain.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    It depends on your relationship with your housemates - are you friends or simply housemates?

If friends - I would spend the £20 on something for the house to enjoy and keep £10!

If simply housemates and you don't do things together etc, I would simply keep it.

I help out my parents, aunts, cousins (and other non internet savvy people) with their online shopping at Christmas and insurance renewals etc, I get them the best deal (regardless of cashback) and keep any cashback for myself.

My mum knows I do this - and does not mind me keeping the cashback - she says she is getting a far better deal than she would on the highstreet, so the cashback is my reward!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • you're asking the question, so i think you may already know the answer is yes. the guilt lies in your mind; there's money in your pocket. i think i'd probably offset the £30 against the upcomming debt to all. first though, ask your friends, you may be surprised when they tell you to keep it for doing the legwork?
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Keep it. Nobody will be any the wiser. You've done the legwork.

When I shared a flat everyone scarpered before me in the last few weeks, and left me to sort out the water and fuel meters, forwarding addresses, rent deposits etc. I got a nice cheque for £112 from the water company as we had overpaid. The bill had always been solely in my name as I had to do all the legwork when we moved in too. Did I split it? Did I heck.

If they're a nice bunch, treat everyone to a takeaway or a night at the cinema.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This has happened to me twice. Last year I kept it as I was the only one with the !!!!!! to sort the bills out, deal with the landlord etc, and one housemate was just plain difficult and wouldn't believe the comparison sites at first.

This year my housemates are more reasonable and helpful, so I split it.
  • kwmlondon
    kwmlondon Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    If I were your flatmate and I found out you'd saved us all £150 a year but kept the £30 cashback I'd be pleased I was saving all that money and not begrudge you the bonus. However, if I'd been the one to save that money I'd probably get a meal deal for a tenner to share and keep the rest. Everyone's a winner!
  • Hiya, a difficult question to keep the £30 cash back or not?
    I would not give the flatmates the cash but would spend the money on making every ones living more comfortable.
    I would spend the £30 on communal things like washing powder, washing up liquid, toilet rolls, cleaning things. Tea and coffee.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure