Scottishpower error - advice please

Options
12 months ago I switched to a Scottshpower dual fuel package.

Just considered switching again via Tesco/Powergen and have noticed an error on the calculation of electricity charges on the Scottishpower statements.

I am on Economy 7 with day and night rates and the meter readings were given to Scottishpower at the outset who then notified my previous supplier NPower, who correctly charged me for their supply to the date of switch.

However, I have just noticed that the Scottishpower statements show the day rate as the night rate and vice versa. Given that i have 88% day usage it would seem I have underpaid by approx £150+.

Anyone know where i stand on this?

Meter readings have always been done by me over the phone.

Scottishpower did read the gas meter but not the electric - don't know why.

Do I have any recourse against Scottishpower?

Should I simply notify them and pay up? Not that I can afford it!

Should I switch and hope they don't notice when they get the final reading from the new supplier?

Many thanks

Steve

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    'Should I switch and hope they don't notice when they get the final reading from the new supplier?'

I would!
  • Basil_Fawlty
    Options
    Go for it!! They've made enough money out of us and will for a good time to come, just switch - their fault not yours!! :D :cool:

(you are getting the 2000 points for switching aren't you;) )
    spacey :)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Presumably you phoned in the correct readings but they transposed them?

I wonder if they will say it was your error? Unless they have a recording of your message. I would imagine that with the increasing use of customer supplied readings this must be a pretty common event - not transposing readings but simply people mis-reading the meter.

As for 'where you stand' - I would guess the 'small print' covers them and not you; but they might make a goodwill error if they admit their error. I cannot think that they will use your readings for a final bill when you close the account; so I would think your chances of 'getting away with it' wouldn't be high.

As an aside why are you on Economy 7 when only 12% is used at night? If the bill was correct it surely must be a more expensive tariff for you the 'normal ' tariff?
  • Wolfman_2
    Options
    I can only presume I gave the correct readings, particularly as Scottishpower then passed on the final readings to my previous supplier NPower and their final bill shows the correct day and night rate readings.

Don't know why I'm on Economy 7 really - when we bought the house new some 12 years ago the electric meter had 2 digital dials and we have simply passed the readings on to our elec supplier since then. I'm not aware that I can change to any other "normal" rate.

I think Powergen seem too unreliable to switch to (and I did want the 2000 clubcard points), having read the "Powergen are a shambles" thread - it seems they are even worse for billing errors etc.

Seems I may as well switch to another provider and take the chance that Scottishpower don't pick up that the day/night rates are transposed when they get the final reading via the new provider - even if they do spot the error seems I have some case to request a goodwill gesture".

Thanks for the advice.
  • sleepy
    sleepy Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Why not just ask them to swap you to the standard non e7 tarriff. Then they just add the day and night readings together to get your overall usage. This way it doesn't matter which way round the readings are, added together they come to the same amount. Then you can switch suppliers to another satndard tariff and it'll never matter which reading is which.
  • Wolfman_2
    Options
    Sleepy "Why not just ask them to swap you to the standard non e7 tarriff"

No sign on their website that this is an option however I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks
  • sleepy
    Options
    I work for British Gas and we do it all the time. If someone realises that they use a lot more in the day than at night it's really simple just to swap them onto the standard tariff. We just add the day + night readings together to get them as an overall usage and then charge at the standard rate, the meter doesn't need to be changed or anything complicated.
  • Wolfman_2
    Options
    I phoned Scottishpower today and the fella said that if i had 2 meter readings then I had to stay on E7 and could not move to the standard rate. This was before I read Sleepy's last post - so I will phone again tomorrow.
  • sleepy
    Options
    Wolfman wrote:
    I phoned Scottishpower today and the fella said that if i had 2 meter readings then I had to stay on E7 and could not move to the standard rate. This was before I read Sleepy's last post - so I will phone again tomorrow.

That's really strange :confused: , we do it for people several times a week! Maybe you'll get someone more useful when you ring back (or you could tell them British Gas will do it for you - I'msure that'll get them springing into action).
  • Wolfman_2
    Options
    I didn't bother phoning them back. I guessed thay would figure something was wrong when I asked to be moved to the standard rate from what appears to be 88% night usage.

Decided to switch to Powergen via Tesco and hope Scottishpower don't notice when they get the final reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure