Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories

Comments

• ddks
    ddks Posts: 45 Forumite
    ddks,

Sorry, just read your post again.

Regarding your local resident. Did he appeal due to a decision regarding another appeal in your area?

Hi Jellybeanio,
    No, he looked at other comparable properties around the area and his was a band higher. He contacted them and was advised 'no' & he'd submitted an appeal online, received an invalidity notice, lodged an appeal to the VTS, had a date set. 3 weeks before the hearing he had no letter from the LO just a load of amended CTax bills for the last 4 years!
    😀😀
  • bjplfw2007
    bjplfw2007 Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    can you reclaim on a old house? i have checked my old property i was there for 10 years and ive since found out all the houses in my street were band A yet i was a band B would i contact the council with regards to this ?
    343.22/£2012 1668.78 to go
  • Hi ddks,

Wow, that was very fortunate for your neighbour. Can't say I've heard of such an outcome as a result of a pending invalid proposal hearing.

I hope you have some luck with yours!

Thanks for posting.
  • Hi bjplfw2007,

As far as I am aware. You can only claim as a result of the current or previous occupiers successfully having the band changed.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,612 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bjplfw2007 wrote: »
    can you reclaim on a old house? i have checked my old property i was there for 10 years and ive since found out all the houses in my street were band A yet i was a band B would i contact the council with regards to this ?

Only the current Council Taxpayer can ask for a band reduction. So you would have to contact them and suggest they ask the Assessor to review the band as the other houses in the street are Band A.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • South Ribble Borough Council
    Was band E
    Now band D
    Rate for 2017/18 was set at £2030
    New rate for 2017/18 £1661
    I followed the checks listed on the MSE's website and was pretty sure I would qualify for rebanding. I phoned the central government office, Valuation Office Agency, and spoke to someone who passed my details to a "dedicated" officer who would deal with my case. I was told the whole process may take up to 12 weeks. Four weeks later a letter arrived, detailing my council tax bills. As I have lived in this property since 1991 I had 24 bills - all overpaid. I had been rebanded from a band E to a band D, backdated to when council tax was introduced in 1993 and I have now been refunded a whopping £6275.22. My bill for next year is £369 less than the original bill - what a result!
    The whole process took me 30 minutes research on my computer and a 15 minute phone call, thank you MSE.
  • ddks
    ddks Posts: 45 Forumite
    Vststeve wrote: »
    South Ribble Borough Council
    Was band E
    Now band D
    Rate for 2017/18 was set at £2030
    New rate for 2017/18 £1661
    I followed the checks listed on the MSE's website and was pretty sure I would qualify for rebanding. I phoned the central government office, Valuation Office Agency, and spoke to someone who passed my details to a "dedicated" officer who would deal with my case. I was told the whole process may take up to 12 weeks. Four weeks later a letter arrived, detailing my council tax bills. As I have lived in this property since 1991 I had 24 bills - all overpaid. I had been rebanded from a band E to a band D, backdated to when council tax was introduced in 1993 and I have now been refunded a whopping £6275.22. My bill for next year is £369 less than the original bill - what a result!
    The whole process took me 30 minutes research on my computer and a 15 minute phone call, thank you MSE.

Wow! Fab news, well done, superb saving 😀😀
  • Earache
    Earache Posts: 1 Newbie
    Local Borough Council: NW Leics
    Council Tax Band Before: F
    Council Tax Band After: E
    Amount refunded: £6135
    Annual saving going forward: £300 pa

Moved into the house in 1986, added 4th bedroom in 1988. House was mis-banded in 1993 as F. 5 bedroom house built in the last 5 years was banded E, so thought there was a good chance for rebanding. After applying for re-banding this year using your instructions in February, finally received rebate back dated to 1993.
  • DCL58
    DCL58 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Appeal ignored in 1998 but reviewed a few weeks ago. £5252 rebate welcomed to say nothing of reduced figures from now on! Inflation not allowed apparently but mustn't be greedy I guess. Thanks to MSE
  • DawnLJ
    DawnLJ Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi

I've just received a notification of hearing for my council tax rebanding appeal. I have no idea if it's worth me attending or if i should do a written submission. Does anyone have any experience of this and could offer some advise? Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback