The All New MSE Running Club.

Comments

• cnoelj
    cnoelj Posts: 29,218 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I often work until 01.00 and I have run the three miles home from work at this time. Takes a little bit of organisation though, yet it good use of time.
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    pablakeman wrote: »
    I am going try try my local parkrun next Saturday :) Can't tonight as in work till 1am but I am looking forward to it!

I can't recommend it highly enough. It was really friendly, mixed abilities and yes, I was in the bottom 10% but I didn't care it was a big achievement for me. If I didn't have a stinking cold I'd be heading back tomorrow. No running for me for a day or two yet probably.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    I'd gone out the night before and finally got home at 1.30am. (er, it was a gig and I'd got the last train home) Stupid me forgot that I had doctors the next morning at 8.40; so had to get up at 8am. I then decided it would be clever to go for a run. (I was up; so why not?) I then ran the best time for a 8k I'd done in a long time.

Aiming to run for 2 hours tomorrow. Although, yesterday's run was quite long (we did about 2 hours; but walked some of it) and I was at the gym today.

I have really struggled over the last few weeks. I am not sure why. I did Jantastic, completed that and then it's all gone downhill from there...

I have exams/essays on at the moment so am juggling my life between the library and work (though after tomorrow I am back to the normal one shift a week).

Because of this I need to get a lie-in really, otherwise I would happily go to it after getting into bed late!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Chickvic
    Chickvic Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all :hello: I'm a jogger rather than a runner ;) I usually do 5k 3 times a week and then 10k on a Saturday. I'm a lone jogger although I am determined to get my husband to join me. My best 5k time is 28 min 53 secs and my best 10k (of which I've done 4!) was today in 1 hour 32 secs. Determined to break the 1 hour for 10k!
  • cnoelj
    Chickvic wrote: »
    Hi all :hello: I'm a jogger rather than a runner ;) I usually do 5k 3 times a week and then 10k on a Saturday. I'm a lone jogger although I am determined to get my husband to join me. My best 5k time is 28 min 53 secs and my best 10k (of which I've done 4!) was today in 1 hour 32 secs. Determined to break the 1 hour for 10k!

Jogging is good and judging by those times it is closer to running than jogging. Getting out 4 times a week for a workout is fantastic. Hello and welcome by the way :)
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
  • weesmiler
    weesmiler Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Count me in!

I joined a running club last November and did my first race in March - 13.1km in 1hr 20mins, however, I think I upped my mileage too quickly and I ended up with a shin injury. Went to a sports physio who has ordered me to have some time off.

I'm doing my first half marathon on the isle of Skye in June, so hoping to get back into training soon. I'm also signed up for glasgow in October :)

Jog on x
    All you need is less
  • hi all can join in please?
    wee bit of history....did couch to 5 k a couple of years ago, then did a (very slow 1h10m) 10k, last year did (again very slow) half marathon (2h 47 m) and 10k (1h 12 m).
    so this year have signed up for half marathon in Edinburgh in Sep, am really hoping to do a lot better however 4 weeks ago hurt my ankle (Achilles area) while out running, it got better, went out last night and now it hurts again :(
    am sooooo fed up, hopefully it will get better and I can get training and maybe do a bit better this year....
  • cnoelj
    weesmiler wrote: »
    Count me in!

I joined a running club last November and did my first race in March - 13.1km in 1hr 20mins, however, I think I upped my mileage too quickly and I ended up with a shin injury. Went to a sports physio who has ordered me to have some time off.

I'm doing my first half marathon on the isle of Skye in June, so hoping to get back into training soon. I'm also signed up for glasgow in October :)

Jog on x
    hi all can join in please?
    wee bit of history....did couch to 5 k a couple of years ago, then did a (very slow 1h10m) 10k, last year did (again very slow) half marathon (2h 47 m) and 10k (1h 12 m).
    so this year have signed up for half marathon in Edinburgh in Sep, am really hoping to do a lot better however 4 weeks ago hurt my ankle (Achilles area) while out running, it got better, went out last night and now it hurts again :(
    am sooooo fed up, hopefully it will get better and I can get training and maybe do a bit better this year....

Weesmiler and fitzypotter thank you for your sharing. Welcome to the madness and I look forward to following your progress. The secret I have found is to set realistic but challenging goals and to make them known to people who are willing to cheer you on and offer you support. And this seems like a good place for that.

OK so this may be a good time to say more about myself. I started road running when I was about 13. And this was all rather reluctantly, as it was a part of my boxing training which was my passion at the time. A while after giving boxing up at about 17 I started to explore what I would like to do to keep fit. And it was this that brought me back to running. I had grown to enjoy it much to my amazement. It was an opportunity to connect to my body. my breath and the present moment. Spiritually rewarding as well as physically.

I have lapsed several times with the running to be honest, yet always returned to it. I started to run with a workmate in about 1995 and we took the step of entering a 10k race. I found that as a result I was continually checking out the race listings and entering runs regularly. Soon I was looking at longer races - first 15k and then10 miles. I challenged myself by entering hill runs and multi terrains.

I have entered the London Marathon 3 times. My best time being just over 4 hours. And for me there are few experiences things quite like it.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I hadn't run for a couple of years. The reason for this, is that I had to disappointingly pull out of marathons I had entered through injury and illness. As a result I made a decision not to enter any more marathons but continued to run for my own fitness and enjoyment. However this brings me back to the point I was alluding to earlier - I need a goal. I need somewhere where I am heading and to have stepping stones towards that. Otherwise I get demotivated. And this is exactly what happened. To be honest I find that this is true in every area of life otherwise I find myself just drifting aimlessly. This is why I can see a real benefit to being involved in this forum - interacting with other runners who in turn are setting their own goals, whether big or small.

So what am I aiming for? A Marathon time next April of 4 hours or better. What are my stepping stones? An organised 10k in the next 6 -8 weeks followed by at least 3 other 10ks by April. Also to run at least 2 half marathons. My intention is to run the first fairly early by about October.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Didn't quite manage 2hours this morning. Very slow - 7.6k in 1hr 11. Have done just under 20k this week.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • whizzybee
    whizzybee Posts: 168 Forumite
    fantastic thread! I started running about five years ago, nothing serious just after a rather sluggish time, I wanted to get fit. Having asthma didnt help so I had to battle some almost attacks running around but I was determined. I took up pilates as well to help strengthen my core and importantly, focus on my breathing.

I now run at least three times a week although I am by no means fast! Best 5k stands at 26 minutes 10 seconds, with best 10k at 54 minutes 54 seconds. Doing the Manchester 10k in a few weeks and aiming for sub 55 minutes again. I have done the Great North Run twice now and my best time was 2 hours 55 seconds, so really hoping for a sub 2 hour one day!

However I have now seriously started to think about doing a marathon. I have been putting it off and having now successfully done half marathons, I really need to sign up. My problem is to do with timing when I eat and when I run. Most of the time my stomach empties and I feel it chronically when I run, so I end up feeling very sick because I run out of energy, so my first goal is to sort my food out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure