Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,805
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My flight FR1375 from Prague to London was delayed by almost 4 hours. The reason for delay was unknown. I have been trying to find out by Ryan Air bur no one is giving a definite answer. They might do it on purpose ??

I also got a confirmation letter from Ryan Air to be used to claim for Insurance (as below).

From this article
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2271213/How-claim-EU-flight-delay-compensation-EC-261-2004.html

I understand, if it is due to RA fault I might be entitled to EUR250 compensation based on or European Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004

My question is that:
    1. Is there anyway to find out reason for the delay ??
    2.Supposed due to RA fault, how easy it is to claim for compensation.
    3. Supposed I win compensation from RA, would they they put me on the black list, preventing me to fly RA in the future ??
    4. In the case like this what could I get from my Travel Insurance. My travel insurance is with Nationwide (e.g Flex account holder)

I appreciate any info lead on this.

Thanks

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,
    Confirmation of Ryanair Flight Delay for Insurance Claim

Re: Booking Confirmation XXXXXX
    The below details will assist you with your Insurance Claim
    Booking Confirmation: XXXXXX/X

Passenger name(s): -
    Going Out: Prague (PRG) to London Stansted (STN) Flight FR1375 depart PRG on 07-09-2017 at 17:10 arrive STN on 07-09-2017 at 18:10

Flight FR1375 from Prague to London Stansted arrived with a 3 hour(s) 54 minute(s) delay

Yours sincerely
    Ryanair Customer Services
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,084
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Download and read Vauban's guide.
    1. Usually not til you start legal action. See above guide and Dr Watson's notes in Ryanair thread (where this post should be)
    Check with an online form such as Botts for an opinion on your flight.
    2. Read the Ryanair thread.
    3. Who knows, but unlikely. O'Leary doesn't give #£@t who you are, he wants your money.
    4. Perhaps YOU should check your travel insurance details? Any claim on that has no bearing on a 261/2004 claim.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Hello MSE Forum users.

This is my first post but I have used this forum many times with a great success in many areas. The time come when I need to ask for a advice as I do not know what to do with my flight cancellation in Wizz Air.

It is about the flight on 2nd August this year from Poland to Luton. My flight was scheduled on 11:25am and it was cancelled. I have got replacement flight but from different city and in the evening hours. I lost whole day for traveling to other city and I had to rechedule some commitments in UK. First of all I have used Resolver but Wizz Air replied as follow:
    "
    Dear Sender,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please be advised that in order for your request to be reviewed you need to submit a claim on the following link:...

Thank you in advance,

WIZZ AIR"

So I have written an email to WizzAir using the link above and unfortunately I have received following response:
    "First, we would like to take this opportunity to express our deepest apologies for all the inconveniences encountered during the cancellation of our flight due to sudden technical shortcoming.
    I kindly inform you that on this day a hidden technical failure was detected on the aircraft which was supposed to carry your flight.
    Please kindly note that operating without repair would consist a safety hazard, and safety must always come first, even before punctuality. I assure you that we do our best to operate our flights causing minimum damage to our passengers. We believe the fault could not have been predicted and the flight cancellation was outside of our control.

Please also note that according to the decision of Judgment of the Court of Justice in Case C-549/07, technical problems are regarded as vis maior to the extent that they stem from events which are not inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned and are beyond its actual control. In such cases compensation may be refused.
    "

I have gone through this forum and I can't really find what I should do next. They have used words 'hidden technical failure' which is not the same as 'technical failure'. Have any of you had the same situation? Have you got any emails which may help me and maybe other users win this case? Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot
  • They are fobbing you off. Download and read Vauban's guide, send the a letter before action and if this doesn't work, sue them. Or if you prefer contact a no win no fee solicitor such as Bott and Co. Don't use a claims management company.
  • meg00
    meg00 Posts: 211
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Four months after our 24 hour flight we are still waiting for any kind of response from KLM.
    Do we then take the matter to ADR or start court proceedings?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    meg00 wrote: »
    Four months after our 24 hour flight we are still waiting for any kind of response from KLM.
    Do we then take the matter to ADR or start court proceedings?

Hi Meg,

I would take them to the ADR provider now as they are just ignoring you.

https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/how-to-complain-about/airline-complaints/

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • meg00
    meg00 Posts: 211
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Tyzap,
    Checking their website now.
    On a related note, I always book flights through a local independent Travel Agent, as I like to support local businesses where possible (as long as the price is competitive!)
    Is there any point in doing this if they offer no help when things go wrong?.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    meg00 wrote: »
    Thanks Tyzap,
    Checking their website now.
    On a related note, I always book flights through a local independent Travel Agent, as I like to support local businesses where possible (as long as the price is competitive!)
    Is there any point in doing this if they offer no help when things go wrong?.

Hi Meg,

For flight only, I don't believe so.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Indeed booking through a travel agent can be disadvantageous as sometimes the airlines tell the agent of a change to the flight time but not you. If the agent doesn't tell you and the flight time is brought forward you could be in trouble. Having said that it's always safest to double check your flight times a couple of days before you go.
  • Hello

I'm really hoping someone can help me.

Travelled from Southampton to Dublin with Flybe.

Flight out was fine but on our return we arrived at the airport to be told only one of us could fly. I didn't know about overbooking until then. We were due to return to our kids as my parents had been looking after them. It was a night flight & we'd arranged pick up from the airport & my husband was working the next morning.

The staff said they would ask for volunteers as some people may be happy to stay in Dublin another night but when I got to the gate I asked them if they did that & they said they forgot. In the end my husband said I should go to look after the kids and he had to stay.

They couldn't guarantee he could get on the next flight as this was also overbooked (9pm flight) and they said there would be no one around to book him on the next morning flight if he didn't manage to get on the 9pm so he didn't fly until 8am the next morning.

His hotel was paid for but he lost a day's earnings. I've contacted Flybe through resolver but they've been useless. I had no response for over 14 days so I had to call and chase. They said it's in their terms and conditions that they overbook and they won't give anymore than the standard flight delay compensation and won't cover loss of earnings.

I think it's awful that they overbook & it's a huge inconvenience to passengers.

Has anyone had any success getting additional compensation on top of the standard EU money? I am so angry with them. It really tainted our trip & the communication was absolutely awful at the airport. No sympathy or genuine apologies

Any help would be hugely appreciated. I am on maternity leave and we really couldn't afford to lose that day's work. The trip itself was a gift from my family as it was our 30th birthdays
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback