Max return over 11 years advice please

Morning everyone,
I am looking to invest approx £500 a month over this period and looking for advice as i find the range of options quite mind-blowing and overwhelming.!!! I am looking for very low risk as am not an experienced investor.any advice greatly appreciated thanks Carole x:j

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,140
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If by very low risk you mean that you cannot tolerate the prospect of capital loss, then you save rather than invest - but the risk here is of the effects of inflation on your buying power if interest rates do not keep up with inflation.

You might consider opening a couple of current accounts with associated regular savers - say Nationwide Flex accounts/First Direct.

Otherwise, you might open a stocks and shares ISA and invest £500 a month.

Example

http://monevator.com/investing-for-beginners-the-global-stock-market/

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/

Or you might use a combination of both.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I guess the lowest risk would be something from National Savings. But any growth may well lag inflation.
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Over the next 10 years Investments are likely to give a better return than cash. I would be looking at Vanguard Lifestrategy 40 (40% equities/60% bonds) as a possibility via Vanguard Investor platform which charges 0.15% p.a.
  • What do you mean by very low risk? Do you want a guaranteed return of say 1% or would you be willing to risk losing money if there was a good possibility of you getting 5%?
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,506
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What do you mean by very low risk? Do you want a guaranteed return of say 1% or would you be willing to risk losing money if there was a good possibility of you getting 5%?
    If the OP was to look into DIY investing and invest long term in a low cost passive globally diverse fund with a fairly cautious equity/bond mix, I would think there is a very good possibility of decent returns, and the risk of losing money is pretty low unless she panics and sells when prices fall a lot as they will at various times during an 11 year period.
  • "Max Return" OR "Low Risk".

These are contradictory. You need to choose.

As you are investing over the long term, I would simply put the money into a Stocks & Shares ISA. In that ISA buy an investment fund (such as a tracker) to put in that ISA. There are lots of different types of fund to suit different risk appetites. The risk of losing money over a 11 year time frame is very low.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am looking to invest approx £500 a month over this period and looking for advice as i find the range of options quite mind-blowing and overwhelming.!!!

about 30,000 single options and a near infinite number of variations.
    I am looking for very low risk as am not an experienced investor.

One person's very low risk is another person's high risk. So, context is needed on what you mean by risk. Especially as your thread title does not seem to match what you are saying in your post.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure