PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow cooked chicken thighs

Options
Hi, in trying to persevere with my healthier eating, I cooked two chicken thighs in my small slow cooker the other day while I was at work, I came home to find they had dried up! I am totally disinterested in cooking again. Have I done something wrong? I did put in a stock cube in some water.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was it on high heat....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I do chicken thighs, I just put them skin side up in the bottom of the slow cooker and cook them on high for around 4 hours or longer on low heat. No water or anything (season the chicken if you want). The oil/juice that comes out of them means most of the chicken is in liquid but leaves the skin out to go a bit crispy. I do cover the bottom of the SC with them - not rammed in but you can't see much of the bowl; perhaps if you didn't fill it enough there wouldn't be enough liquid to go high enough up the chicken to keep it moist. It's never dry.
  • Fusspot
    Fusspot Posts: 327 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I cooked them on low heat, I have to leave them more than four or five hours as I work full time. My slow cooker is 1.5 litre as I find this size suits me now with me being on my own and I don't want a lot of left overs.

I'm slowly going off this idea but don't want to go back to ready meals.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ahh don't let it put you off - try doubling the recipe and freezing half for another day - bonus 'ping meal' for when you CBA ;)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Fusspot
    Fusspot Posts: 327 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    Ahh don't let it put you off - try doubling the recipe and freezing half for another day - bonus 'ping meal' for when you CBA ;)

Thanks, I will do this with other dishes but I am wary of reheating chicken somehow.

I am trying to think of other dishes I can do. I only tend to eat chicken, mince and fish.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A lot of SC dishes don't need cooking nearly as long as one imagines.

I cooked a frozen/defrosted, 800gram turkey breast joint in mine for Xmas and I'm doing it again this year, but for four hours max probably. I'll be poking/checking it after 3 hours....

For a small pot, you'll need less time ... it might be an idea, if you CBA, to get a meat thermometer "just to check it's OK" as your pot is smaller than most, so you'll have to master its timings for yourself.

I see mine as a way to "toss random food into it while I'm around to watch/see what's happening"... rather than seeing it as something to use when I go out.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Chicken - buy some thighs/breasts to make curry, satay, sweet and sour, Casserole, wrapped in bacon stuffed with cream cheese- Kebabs etc

Mince - Make a savoury mince to make bolognaise, Chilli, Burritos, shep Pie, savoury mince in Yorkshire pud etc

Fish - buy frozen portions use for curry, Chinese style with Veg, fish pie, pan fried with pea pur!e, battered with chips ;)

I know it's really hard for one, but a weekend cook off could fill your freezer for most of a months main meals - that's if you have the freezer space of course
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fusspot wrote: »
    Thanks, I will do this with other dishes but I am wary of reheating chicken somehow.

I am trying to think of other dishes I can do. I only tend to eat chicken, mince and fish.

Okay, so don't re heat it then :D;) have it cold with coleslaw or whatever takes your fancy. It's got to be more welcome in the summer anyway
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The kids had slow cooked chicken thighs (hot) yesterday, then I shredded the leftovers before they went cold and they had it cold mixed into salad today. It went down well both days!

If you want to cook for 5 hours, why not get a timer switch for the slow cooker? They're only a few pounds. Then you can have hot food cooked perfectly when you get home from work. I normally try new slow cooker things when I'm in all day so I can work out how long it will take.
  • Cupcake_Returns
    Options
    Two thighs in a slow cooker for the best part of a day???

Seriously no wonder they dried up. A thigh doesn't take more then 20 minutes cooking conventually. They are tiny. I would cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker in 4 hours, and I actually mean a cockeral which are tough old birds, not a factory farmed chook

I would cook two thighs on the stove top whilst I was showering, changing, tidying up when I got in from work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure