DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8

Comments

• Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Bitter or lager? And crisps or pork scratchings? Watch out for HH's whippet, he's a bit overfriendly, if you know what I mean. Oh and tuck your jeans in your socks, she has those ferrets with her again :D

Bitter please, I am a bit of a real ale fan, and better make it crisps as last time I had pork scratchings I broke a tooth and ended up with a very expensive dentist's bill:rotfl:
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Growurown
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Nationwide have now written to say they don't accept the lower payment and that they are going to push for a CCJ, and that if the court don't increase the payments they will go for a charging order and secure the debt against the property.
    Yes, Barclays are going for a charging order against our house. They are also blackmailing us by saying that if we give them a voluntary charging order interest will be 3%, however if they take us to court interest will be 8% plus they will add costs etc.

Hi both, I haven't had any experience with charging orders but going to court isn't nearly as scary as many people think. If you can show that you are acting responsibly and are making every effort to pay back your debts then I think most judges will be sympathetic towards you. I don't see how creditors can do this though because they must know your situation from your soa that you would have had to fill in to go on the DMP in the first place. Perhaps they are trying to get a larger share of the cake. One advantage to living in a rented house I suppose.
    MrDJB192 wrote: »

So.....hello everyone!!!

I hope i'm posting in the right place :) :j

Hello DJB, welcome and stick around for some good advice and lots of support for those down days.

Oh and well done all those efficient well organised people who have sorted out their Christmas shopping.

• MrDJB192
    MrDJB192 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Thank you for the kind comments.

I really do believe I've had that LBM which people talk about - I've often wondered what they were like - now i know!

I've not gone through everything yet - and there is no guarantee that my creditors will accept what step change offer but just speaking to someone makes me feel like I can take control back. I've got lots to do, forms to fill, letters to send, a new bank account to open and a lot of trust to rebuild with my partner.

The first steps are the hardest though.....and i've taken them!
    LBM - Dec 2012 (just under £27,000)
    DMP - Jan 2013 - Aug 2017

Aiming for DFD of Dec 2015
  • Growurown
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thank you for the kind comments.

I really do believe I've had that LBM which people talk about - I've often wondered what they were like - now i know!

I've not gone through everything yet - and there is no guarantee that my creditors will accept what step change offer but just speaking to someone makes me feel like I can take control back. I've got lots to do, forms to fill, letters to send, a new bank account to open and a lot of trust to rebuild with my partner.

The first steps are the hardest though.....and i've taken them!

Well done DJB:T

I think you will enjoy the feeling of being back in control and being able to manage day to day. I really wish we had gone onto the DMP a lot earlier, we would have been a lot better off now if we had. We went on for years slowly racking up the debt and then of course everything crashed and eventually we had to admit we couldn't carry on.

There is a lot to do in the beginning but it does settle down after a couple of months.

• houseiseverything, thanks for the tip I'll definitely read it.. I'm sorry I can't help with your situation. Is there no other free organisation you can talk to? Or maybe appeal for info on the main board to see if anyone else has been in the same situation? It seems such a hardball tactic from Barclays. Who is arranging your dmp? I'll have a search through old posts to see if I can find anything. X

Thanks! We have today spoken to National Debt Advice Line. We are going to give in, not fight. For others in this situation, the thought process we went through might be helpful.
    The law on charging orders and when they can be applied for has changed very recently- please see the National debt advice line information on this, it is too complicated to explain! As this law has yet to be tested in court, I feel that for the first few cases that are heard in a County Court the banks will throw everything they have at it in order for the law to stick. Faced with hotshot city lawyers the risk that we would lose in court is too great. so we are going to agree to the voluntary charging order, pay the instalments and hope that we will never be in a position where we can't pay them.
    I have noticed over the last few days there have been more and more threads on here about people being threatened with charging orders. The banks seem to be playing hardball simply because they can now after the change in the law. Our situation was caused directly by the banking crisis- the debts are from a failed business- so I feel rather bitter at the moment
  • Growurown
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    The banks seem to be playing hardball simply because they can now after the change in the law. Our situation was caused directly by the banking crisis- the debts are from a failed business- so I feel rather bitter at the moment

Totally get where you are coming from HIE. I think a lot of us feel the same way about the banks. I listened to an interview on the radio with someone who had worked in the PPI business for eleven years and it was shocking at the amount of deception and sheer greediness that went on. Once again we are all paying the price for big corporate businesses who rip us off and don't pay any tax. That's why I have no guilt whatsoever about not paying interest on my debts.

• MrDJB192
    MrDJB192 Posts: 21 Forumite
    My initial hope disappeared today....nothing really caused it. I had to sit down and write all the letters to my creditors advising that I was attempting to set up a debt management plan and I filled in the rest of the paperwork for stepchange.

Yesterday i was all guns blazing, today the scale of my issues over the last few years has hit me like a ton of bricks. I've become a very negative person and i'm determined to push on to becoming the positive person I used to be - but I have this recurrent mind movie of a call from step change where they basically turn to me with the term - "Creditors say NO!"

How often do creditors refuse DMP as an option?
    LBM - Dec 2012 (just under £27,000)
    DMP - Jan 2013 - Aug 2017

Aiming for DFD of Dec 2015
  • lizzy23
    lizzy23 Posts: 193 Forumite
    My initial hope disappeared today....nothing really caused it. I had to sit down and write all the letters to my creditors advising that I was attempting to set up a debt management plan and I filled in the rest of the paperwork for stepchange.

Yesterday i was all guns blazing, today the scale of my issues over the last few years has hit me like a ton of bricks. I've become a very negative person and i'm determined to push on to becoming the positive person I used to be - but I have this recurrent mind movie of a call from step change where they basically turn to me with the term - "Creditors say NO!"

Hi been here and done that, its unlikely that they will refuse your DMP going through stepchange, its really scary when you've paid your debts all of your life and been brought up to believe that the banks are some sort of gods, but at the end of the day they can't take what you haven't got, and most of them are perfectly reasonable when you speak to them, for example, Marbles refused my offer because of spending on the account, but when i spoke to them they were fine and even told me the first date i could resubmit the offer and that they would accept at that point, the only one i have had a bit of a run in with was Santander, they wrote very early on to say we accept and then last week said they had no record, but again a quick phone call and its sorted.

I'm another one that wishes i'd done it a while ago, we feel like we have our life back, i am one of the ones that has gone for a longer period and put everything in the budget, i am getting to the end of the month with a bit spare, and also managing to save a bit for emergencies, for the firts time in years i have done christmas cash, and it feels great.

At the end of the day you didn't choose to be in this position, none of us did, but sometimes these things happen
    LBM 2 and the OH is onboard sept 12, DMP will start on the 1st November, DFD who cares as longs as it comes:)
    1 year down 5 to go and now under 30k and 10% paid off :beer:
  • MrDJB192 wrote: »

This is what the start up of a DMP is like, it's not just you, I would say most of us feel like this at the beginning. Read back through this thread and you will see it time and time again.

I described it as an emotional rollercoaster, one minute I was elated at dealing with our debts, the next I was in floods of tears with a list of things that could possibly go wrong. I was up and down like this for a couple of weeks then it started to fall into place.

It's not always easy, it's hard learning to live with the budget, it's very tough when creditors refuse to stop interest, it's difficult when you want to do something and you can't because the money you earn has to go towards debt. The first couple of months are particularly rough when you sometimes see your debt increase due to added charges and interest but everything changed for me in month 3 when I suddenly saw a big reduction in our debt and we haven't looked back since.

You will get there and people here will advise and support you through it. Don't worry, the real you will be back soon :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • debtdawg
    debtdawg Posts: 343 Forumite

All of our creditors have accepted ours and frozen interest, except Lloyds.

Having a bit of a down day today, it's nearly Christmas and we're skint. We'll be in a better position next year, but this year sucks a bit. We've got the main presents for the kids, just need little stocking fillers etc, but I'm still feeling a bit low.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure