Climbing the Mountain

Options

Comments

• MistyMountainTop
    Options
    I'm trying a slightly new way of doing things... when I first wake up, I'm focusing on figuring out what will get me closer to my goals each day, and doing that thing first. I've found that if I sit down to answer emails, do housework, make phone calls, etc. that my day ends up being completely filled and while I've done stuff that needed doing, I haven't made any progress towards what is important.

I'm also severely limiting the time I spend online, and giving myself a deadline to get certain things done (for example 30 mins to answer emails and make phone calls, 45 mins for housework) because if I don't have a time set to stop and move on to something else, I will either get the thing done but in an unhurried manor, or I will just keep going on my to-do list without any real thought about which things are the most helpful and end up feeling like a drudge. I know I have more than enough time to get everything that is needed done, I'm just not using my time very effectively. I'd like to get this way of doing things ingrained asap so when I start working full time, things don't fall apart. It's working pretty well so far - I got more done this morning than I did all last week. :o
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    I'm still clearing out things and selling on ebay - I usually go with a buy-it-now price but thought I'd take some advice and try starting auctions at .99p to see where they go. Unfortunately a large amount of things ended up selling for exactly that - .99p. Once the fees are taken into consideration, I'll end up making about .50p on each item. I would have been better off selling them at a car boot. I really don't understand how ebay can justify an "ending fee on postage", it's such a scam. Lesson learned, never again!

I'm planning on taking a break from all internet for a month or two except for checking emails. Life is very stressful at the moment, so I'm stripping back everything that isn't absolutely necessary before I have a breakdown! I've already cut way back over the last few months but when I get stressed I tend to use browsing the internet as an escape and don't get the things done that need doing, which only adds to the stress. I'll be back in November if I can hold out that long. xx
  • I'm planning on taking a break from all internet for a month or two except for checking emails. Life is very stressful at the moment, so I'm stripping back everything that isn't absolutely necessary before I have a breakdown! I've already cut way back over the last few months but when I get stressed I tend to use browsing the internet as an escape and don't get the things done that need doing, which only adds to the stress. I'll be back in November if I can hold out that long. xx

It's always good to have a step back and a refocus. Hope everything is ok? Big hugs lovely lady xxx
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Hope you're ok - and that you see the last replies to this before you go!

Remember - baby steps. You can do anything for 15 minutes. And the end result is sometimes more important than the steps you take to get there. See you when you return! xx
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    HI Misty,

Just popping in to say hello :wave: hope you're okay and life has settled down a bit for you? xx
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Well remembered PMO2 - hope all's good Misty!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MistyMountainTop
    MistyMountainTop Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 November 2017 at 11:44AM
    Options
    Thank you both for remembering me! :)

A couple of months away has helped me break the cycle of constant wasting time on t'internet and allowed me to get my priorities in back order. I still check fb once in a while, but it seems all the same people are whinging about the same things and it reinforces my decision to take a step back.

I haven't found a full time job that I'd be happy to do. I've been able to increase my p/t hours as it's coming up to the busy season and am making up the shortfall by looking in charity shops on a regular basis for clothes, etc. to re-sell on ebay. The side line has dried up completely but at the moment it's a relief to not be chasing jobs or worrying about deadlines. Things have been ticking over fairly smoothly but it's a false sense of security as there's very little in the savings account. My current goal is to have £750 in the emergency pot, and then start on the house deposit. I am expecting some money for Xmas from my relatives, but there is nothing I need or want so am happy and a bit excited to be able to put it in the emergency fund.

I feel like I have a better grip on my life, and am happy to just get on with it. I'm spending on very little aside from food - buying as much yellow sticker fruit and veg as possible and basing the weekly menu on that. Being a little bit more organised has made my life easier. Figuring out what my main focus is and having an action plan has helped me get rid of the distractions. I've resigned from all volunteering and have no social commitments. I am enjoying being a homebody.

I haven't yet caught up with anyone's diary but will be doing it over the next week or so. I hope everyone has been well and I'l be back soon xx
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    Keep fighting Misty there is always light at the end of the tunnel xx
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • Hey MMT,

Sometimes its good to take a step back and re evaluate isn't it.

I got rid of FB about 2/3 years ago, such a massive waste of my time and energy. Bet if I went on it would be the same old rubbish that was on there anyway.

Dxxx
  • MistyMountainTop
    MistyMountainTop Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 December 2017 at 2:14PM
    Options
    I'm making a huge effort to apply for jobs, as earning money is my #1 priority (tied with improving health) - there has been a spate of full time positions that would suit me down to the ground but I haven't heard back yet from any of them. Keeping my fingers crossed, I know the right job is out there and I will find it!

Aside from that, I've deep cleaned and decorated the house for Xmas, it's looking very cosy and cheerful. The family will all be coming home, and I can't wait!

:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport