Where to go for cheap ETF / IT trades

Hi
Can someone suggest a decent website/ fundsupermarket / broker that offers a wide range of EFT / IT, and investment funds.
Lots of fund supermarkets offer free fund buying and selling but charge rather a large fee for any EFT / IT trades. HL for example will charge £10.99, although the price decreases the more traders you undertake. I plan to purchase an EFT / IT on a monthly or bi monthly basis, and even then I am only looking to invest about £100 per transaction. A cost of £10 would be too high. Any suggestions about companies that offer a wide range and low trading cost for ETF and IT

Comments

• george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Take a look at this comparison site: http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/

It sounds like you are looking for a platform that have a regular investing plan of which can invest in ETFs and ITs. Note that each platform has a select list of funds/ETFs/ITs that are eligible for regular investing plan so make sure you check that beforehand.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    intowhere wrote: »
    I plan to purchase an EFT / IT on a monthly or bi monthly basis, and even then I am only looking to invest about £100 per transaction. A cost of £10 would be too high. Any suggestions about companies that offer a wide range and low trading cost for ETF and IT
    Most of these sites will offer a reduced transaction fee for a monthly investment option, i.e. £1.50.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 10:35AM
    Have you seen the Best Buy platforms on this website - link: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/cheap-online-sharedealing
    Buying shares in units of £100 is inefficient whichever platform you use.
    I suggest you take advantage of the great deals on a regular saver acount, then invest the money when it matures.
    As a retail investor you can get better interest rates than large investors - up to 5% which is 20 times the bank rate - link: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts :)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Look for IT's that offer monthly savings schemes. £100 investments aren't economic otherwise.
  • well I buy monthly funds for £50 each per fund via HL and its free.

I.T's would have a small fee I imagine, but then theres no custody fees.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    well I buy monthly funds for £50 each per fund via HL and its free.

I.T's would have a small fee I imagine, but then theres no custody fees.

They would have a fee of £10.95 if it was not a regular scheme, which they may or may not have for regular IT/ETF savings. So not at all small as thats basically 20%.

The OP has started from the wrong premise, the right question would have been to ask who offers low cost regular savings plans for ITs/ETFs.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    intowhere wrote: »
    Hi
    Can someone suggest a decent website/ fundsupermarket / broker that offers a wide range of EFT / IT, and investment funds.
    Lots of fund supermarkets offer free fund buying and selling but charge rather a large fee for any EFT / IT trades. HL for example will charge £10.99, although the price decreases the more traders you undertake. I plan to purchase an EFT / IT on a monthly or bi monthly basis, and even then I am only looking to invest about £100 per transaction. A cost of £10 would be too high. Any suggestions about companies that offer a wide range and low trading cost for ETF and IT
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    They would have a fee of £10.95 if it was not a regular scheme, which they may or may not have for regular IT/ETF savings. So not at all small as thats basically 20%.

The OP has started from the wrong premise, the right question would have been to ask who offers low cost regular savings plans for ITs/ETFs.

Where are you getting your figures from? HL charge me £11.95:cool:.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    badger09 wrote: »
    Where are you getting your figures from? HL charge me £11.95:cool:.

That was just a number from memory, couldn't be bothered to look it up.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    That was just a number from memory, couldn't be bothered to look it up.

:naughty::naughty:
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    My understanding is that regular savings schemes were run at a loss to the Investment Trusts. They were done in an effort to reduce the discount because its an embarassment to the Management.
    But with the advent of more competition, Investment trusts have come under pressure to reduce their fees. So some have discontinued loss making regular savings schemes to reduce their costs and fees, which has led to a narrowing of discounts.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure