PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offers on a rural Scottish property?!?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    zagubov wrote: »
    I read once that Scotland was one of the most urbanised countries in Europe with more than 90% of the population living in larger settlements (well lets be honest the Highland Clearances put paid to villages and cricket). As the old Scottish saying goes: "You can't eat scenery".

Plus the fact that the moment you step outside of a major city you're eaten alive by insects.

If an earthquake sank 60% of the country into the sea, it would be months before anyone heard about it or the media bothered to pick up on it.

Buying a place out in the sticks in the hope it'll resell easily is a bit of a gamble north of the Tweed. Look at any map of Switzerland and you'll see everybody lives in the the cities of the central valley. Similar situation.
    The OP's prospective purchase is within a half hour drive of Glasgow city centre. That's pretty urban compared with the bulk of the country. In London terms it's about as out in the sticks as Shepherds Bush.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    The OP's prospective purchase is within a half hour drive of Glasgow city centre. That's pretty urban compared with the bulk of the country. In London terms it's about as out in the sticks as Shepherds Bush.

Half an hour by car to Central London from Shepherd's Bush? Not at 8am on a week day...
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Half an hour by car to Central London from Shepherd's Bush? Not at 8am on a week day...
    To be fair, the same applies in Glasgow - I was looking at current travel times...
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,535
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Tiners wrote: »
    AdrianC wrote: »
    "At the risk of being labelled a "Crashy", here's a sensationalist Daily Mail article..."

For every article the Daily Mail publishes about house prices dropping it has another about prices rising. Often at the same time.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    GaleSF63 wrote: »
    For every article the Daily Mail publishes about house prices dropping it has another about prices rising. Often at the same time.
    That's the Daily Mail for you.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    But nobody wants to move to the highlands or dunoon!!! Come try buy a house in a reasonable area in the central belt...

Somebody does. At least one, since I know someone who's just sold in Dunoon.....
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    googler wrote: »
    Somebody does. At least one, since I know someone who's just sold in Dunoon.....

But looking at rightmove there are a LOT of properties listed at reduced prices in Dunoon. It's not a desirable area for most, perhaps middle age couples who have just waved goodbye to their grown up kids and looking for some country air!
  • glasgowdan wrote: »
    Slow Scottish market?!!!! Maybe in your immediate area, but not in many parts. My sister in law is trying to buy and is being thrashed by offers way above home report price. My area is seeing houses sold in 1-14 days almost all over home report value. It's bonkers.

I have to agree with this - we were searching for quite a while but almost everything we were interested in went for way over home report in the Glasgow area. And don't get me started on crazy home report valuations - I'm just glad we are finally found somewhere and are out of all this hassle now.

To the original post though - my brother lives on the same road as where you are looking. I think he really enjoys the small village type life of the area. As you'll know it's a bit more difficult trying to get places from it if you're used to city living but that's to be expected.

I think one of the factors for him moving there was to be able to buy an older house but still reduce the mortgage a bit, so if it were me i probably wouldn't be interested in paying over the odds for the area - as scenic as it it. Whenever I've visited him, the road didn't seem to be a noise issue at all.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,875
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »

Absolutely! But my last job involved a commute through Shepherd's Bush and the congestion is a different order of magnitude from what I imagine you might find in Beith. I was more trying to explain why rural houses further away (e.g.outside outside Inverness as mentioned by ProDave) might not attract a lot of local interest.

Ironically the people who would most like a view of rural scenery would probably also appreciate good TV reception/broadband, supermarket access, and access to local hospital care.
    There's good solid reasons why the number of people moving into cities keeps outstripping people moving away.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • mubeye
    mubeye Posts: 120
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 November 2017 at 10:03AM
    If you are the only bidder.... then vendor is much more likely to consider the asking price.

I see property in Edinburgh, Glasgow sell very quickly for 10-20% plus HR value. Very hot markets.

More rural, holiday lets are hot, and anything suitable goes to closing within a few days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure