Travelex Supercard - Goodbye!

Options

Comments

• michaelm
    michaelm Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    A_T wrote: »
    So you want to use a debit card? For your holiday why not just transfer your cash to Monzo or Revolut?

Monzo looks to be the business. But, apart from loading the card, it seems to work the same way as Supercard. Better even. So what's the catch?

Revolut looks to be a bit more involved, but with the same end result. It also expects me to transfer money to it without having any way to access it. How long does it take a card to arrive?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    michaelm wrote: »
    Monzo looks to be the business. But, apart from loading the card, it seems to work the same way as Supercard. Better even. So what's the catch?

Revolut looks to be a bit more involved, but with the same end result. It also expects me to transfer money to it without having any way to access it. How long does it take a card to arrive?

Two days. Very easy to use with a great app.
  • jamie_02
    jamie_02 Posts: 89 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2017 at 9:52PM
    Options
    Monzo, and now Starling are (imminently, in Monzo's case) fully regulated UK banks with current accounts that don't charge for foreign withdrawals and transactions, and fx at the Mastercard rate.

Curve is a Supercard-style proxy card with the features Supercard offered. Mastercard fx rate +1% and flat fee of £2 for cash withdrawals, but without the need to add funds.

Take your pick.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yep, got my paperwork through today, bit gutted tbh as I used this card a lot - never had a problem...

SO , just to confirm there is nothing comparable to it right now? Monzo, although it looks like you have to pre-load it, is the next best thing?

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'm sure something be along in the near future :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jamie_02 wrote: »
    Curve is a Supercard-style proxy card with the features Supercard offered. Mastercard fx rate +1% and flat fee of £2 for cash withdrawals, but without the need to add funds.

Take your pick.

Wait, that looks alright doesn't it :T Any users here?
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't used it since the trial, although I did get the "release" card.

I used it infrequently and couldn't find an easy way to change my address so didn't bother using it at all.

Not really that surprised to see it ending.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 755 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Lack of ability to change PIN really annoyed me with Supercard, and the post-beta ATM Charge took away what for me was the main benefit. App uninstalled, card shredded. Move on - nothing to see here.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Similar to Monzo (and Starling) there is also Loot - no fees for foreign usage - 2 free ATM withdrawals per month a £1 fee after.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    nk8 wrote: »
    Supercard's benefits to me were a simple 2.99% for foreign cash withdrawals to a linked credit card (no further interest was charged from the credit card), and obviously the foreign payments without fees, just the straight exchange rate.

There is the Halifax Clarity card and Creation but they don't, as far as I am aware have the same benefits when withdrawing cash at an ATM, they are fee free for foreign transactions only, please correct me if I am wrong though.

Clarity charges interest - 1.456%, 1.667% or 1.941%/month, calculated daily.
    So whilst the 2.99% fee is "simple", in most cases Clarity will be cheaper - especially if you make an effort to pay off promptly. True if you take more than a couple of months the Clarity interest will be more than 2.99%. But by then you would be paying interest on the card linked to Supercard too - and by not paying your bill in full the interest would be backdated to the date of withdrawal.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A_T wrote: »
    Similar to Monzo (and Starling) there is also Loot - no fees for foreign usage - 2 free ATM withdrawals per month a £1 fee after.
    I have successfully used my Loot card for purchases and withdrawals in several countries, and having a sort code and account number for FPs to/from any UK account is a plus. However, they have an accounting issue with foreign transactions that they seem unable to resolve so far, which could mean a lack of resources and possible failure, so I no longer recommend them except as a backup. I personally no longer keep any money on my Loot account - it's fast and easy to top up if needed.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport