Blocking Window Trickle Vents

Options

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our double glazed windows don't have trickle vents and I used to have a terrible problem with condensation every morning in the bedroom.
    I started leaving the fanlight window open a tad and now have no condensation at all. It's like a miracle.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • CromeX
    Options
    You would think a new home build by Barratt would have thought about the noise issue considering they build right on the road (stupid council for letting them do it). Pretty poor quality noise insulation.

Has anyone tried these
    Passivent Acoustic Energy Saver Humidity Sensitive Trickle Ventilator?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lg13mza wrote: »
    We just had replacement windows and thankfully our council still let the homeowner decide whether to have trickle vents or not.
    Allowing the home owner to decide isn't in the council's gift.

There is no need to install them if the window is a direct replacement for another that didn't have them before.

The law was changed, then changed back again, presumably at the behest of window companies.

I had to have them in two new openings, but all the other windows were replaced without them. At first I was told they'd all have to include trickle vents, but my builder knew the regs.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm having new windows fitted in January, the existing ones don't have Trickle vents, so the new ones aren't obliged to either.

We don't have any problems with condensation, in fact the opposite, I often wake up with sinus headaches because the air is too dry

The problem is, we can't open the existing windows at night, because nearby road noise is too loud and the openings on the new windows are bigger, so on night latch they'll be even worse.

I've been considering having vents fitted to the new windows during manufacture, but now after reading this and other threads I'm not so sure.

Seems strange and/or frustrating that with all the developments in windows, the vents are still just 'drill a hole and put a flimsy plastic door over it'

Don't have long to decide though.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Corporal_Perkins
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    I'm having new windows fitted in January, the existing ones don't have Trickle vents, so the new ones aren't obliged to either.

We don't have any problems with condensation, in fact the opposite, I often wake up with sinus headaches because the air is too dry

The problem is, we can't open the existing windows at night, because nearby road noise is too loud and the openings on the new windows are bigger, so on night latch they'll be even worse.

I've been considering having vents fitted to the new windows during manufacture, but now after reading this and other threads I'm not so sure.

Seems strange and/or frustrating that with all the developments in windows, the vents are still just 'drill a hole and put a flimsy plastic door over it'

Don't have long to decide though.

Trickle vents were never a good idea when you think about it. Why make windows as thermally efficient as possible with energy efficient glazing,draught excluders etc and then cut a whole in it and fit a thin piece of plastic on both sides of the window which reduces the thermal values of a window and is very poor with sound travel. People claim trickle vents allow back ground ventilation and help create an airflow ,well for centuries we have done exactly that by opening a window each day to "vent" a room/house. With modern window fasteners that have a "night vent" facility its easy to "vent a room" whilst keeping the window secure.

When deciding on having trickle vents fitted in new windows ask yourself this question: If trickle vents were/are such a great idea why are they no longer part of Building regs and as such are not compulsory on new windows unless the existing windows have trickle vents then Local Building control like to see them on the new windows which makes no sense but there you go.

After 32yrs of making timber windows my advice is don't have them fitted, just open a window each day to "air the room"........
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well like I say, in my case, night latch isn't an option, its just a question of whether trickle vents are just as bad, or tolerable.

As far as it being removed from the regs, I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but you can't judge how good an idea is based on what government does. After all, if coal is a dirty fuel source, why does the current US government want to subsidise it?

That said, I am currently leaning against them. We're 1 mile from the factory where the windows will be made, worst comes to worst and we decide to retrofit them later, they could easily come back out to do it, even taking the sashes back to the shop to do so if needs be.

Alternatively we'll just throw the cats out at night so we can leave the bedroom door open without getting leapt on while we sleep.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    We have not long had all the windows replaced. No vents, but the ability to securely latch and indeed lock the window, fractionally open. Presumably this is the night vent facility the Cpl refers to. I appreciate this setting would allow some noise in. For noise reduction, I can absolutely recommend triple glazing. Made a huge difference for us.
  • BoxerfanUK
    Options
    All the softwood DG windows in our house have trickle vents. We never ever have them open and never have any condensation. If at some stage I went for more efficient UPVC replacements I would love to specify no trickle vents as I hate them but it seems I would have to have them to satisfy building regs. Stupid rule!!
  • Corporal_Perkins
    Corporal_Perkins Posts: 89 Forumite
    edited 20 December 2017 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »

As far as it being removed from the regs, I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but you can't judge how good an idea is based on what government does. After all, if coal is a dirty fuel source, why does the current US government want to subsidise it?

In the case of Building regs the Govt take advice from genuine experts such as TRADA (Timber research & Development Agency) which is partly why Building regs are only updated every few years because this gives the experts/scientists time to carry out research.

In the case of the US and coal the simple answer is Jobs, the US govt subsidises the coal industry to keep people in work in areas that rely on coal mining.

Another great example is the Arms industry where Govt contracts keep people in work, the downside is their national debt is now up around $54 trillion ... One recent Senate hearing was investigating the US Border agency where they drew and used their guns 15 times in a couple of years but somehow lost millions and millions of rounds of ammunition that they have no idea where its all gone. They spent somewhere in the region of $6 billion over a 6yrs period on buying ammo ,much of which they can't find..
  • Hi there,

Barratts should have had acoustic consultants perform a noise impact assessment if they built in an area subjected to noise. Having said that, they would not have paid for it if the council didn't ask them to do it!

As for your question about the Passivent units, I have specced these many times in the past and they really do help! There are other very good manufacturers that you could look into replacing the units with such as Trimvent (I think manufactured by Titon). If you are having a lot of trouble with noise, then my advice would be to go for the top spec units. I doubt that you would need them all round the house though as typically, these would only be required on windows overlooking the main roads.

In answer to the initial question about blocking them up, I would advise against it (the vents are not only for venting smells, but mainly for making sure that there is fresh air circulating around the house for your own good!) and instead look to replace the units that are there with acoustic units.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure