PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wizzbang and Igamogam

I think that's the difference for a lot of people - rather than trying to think up better solutions to *store* things it makes them reevaluate what things they really want to keep. It's easy to get embroiled in the nitty gritty of trying to store everything more efficiently without actually really checking that the item is one worth storing. That's what changed my ideas about my Stuff.

So although I haven't followed it to the letter, gathering things together certainly makes you face up to duplicates of items and makes it easier to rank things properly. I've been able to release stuff that otherwise I'd have kept thinking that I loved it but when seen with its other compatriots I've realised I don't.

Hope this makes sense. But then again, whilst i rarely remember to thank everything that has left, there have been times when I've been able to see that something has served it's purpose and should be let go. (Plus I do speak to, shout at and thank the radio, the TV, inanimate objects around the home, cash machines and self service tills so you might want to filter any of my comments through that knowledge :rotfl: :o:rotfl:)

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Well said Daisy, I think k like a lot of people on this thread the method is the first time we've cleared clutter and it's stayed away. Even to the extent that we don't buy as much and carefully consider each purchase.
    Talking to items aside the principles are sound and most of us clear responsibly by recycling.

Polly, I was the same my cat is short haired and I said I wasn't getting more pets , but couldn't resist the little face on the rescue site. What I was doing looking at it in the first place who knows!:p
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • ScotinLondon I am a terrible procrastinator. I do think timetabling, as MMF007 suggests, is key - don't try to do too much at once, and programme in some breaks. Often it's not that because the task is difficult, we put it off because we're scared of failing or we anticipate that we are going to feel negative emotions. Build in rewards, eg revise for two hours and then watch an episode of your current box set. And use your phone or a timer - my weakness is thinking 'I've worked really hard, so now I'll have a cuppa' and finding an hour later, I'm still reading blogs or catching up on here!

Thank you both, MMF007 & PWD It does help to know that I am not alone out there with the procrastination bug.
    I enjoy the course that I am currently doing (had the exam on Friday gone and it went bad), so I am not sure. I do as PWD does too - work for an hour and then take a break as a reward, which obviously becomes longer. I have been like this for a long time - A-levels, Uni degree, all the past exams that I have done too...I think I need to work out how to change my mind set.

I also don't normally get home until gone 7pm, sometimes later (I work in London so have a long commute), cook, clean up etc by that time it can be 9pm when I can study...I just need to work on a better routine for me I think...try and batch cook more on the weekends and also prep food for the week on the weekend to, so all I need to do is throw it together when I get home.

Lots to think about for me I think.

On a MK note - i will be going through all the CDs that we don't currently listen too, see if i want to transfer over to the external hard drive and then sell them. Only a small box to go through, so hopefully won't take long to go through them and decide.

Have a good rest of the day all

SILx
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Daisy - you've hit the nail on the head for me - that's exactly what I'm doing now. I have replaced some items that are no longer joyful for something better or more suited but now I look at items and think - am I going to use this? If so when? If not why am I keeping it!

Scot - could you do some studying while commuting? even 20 mins will help?

Wort & Polly - yup I said no more fur babies too - until a proper princess needed a home! Long haired Siberian with a VERY fine undercoat that gets everywhere!! BTW she came with a slicker brush but was completely disdainful of it so its now in my cleaning trug and works a treat on getting the fluff/hair/cotton out of the brush rollers on the hoover!!

Kondoing 2 pillows from my stash to DS1 today - bit more room in the airing cupboard ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 13 March 2018 at 10:16PM
    Scot, that commute sounds tough. DH did 4 hours a day+ for many years and it was horrid.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I quite like the MK principles - I think a big change for me was not seeing what I wanted to get rid of but flipping it to what I actually wanted to keep. And I have a very joy sparking potato peeler! :D (it's comfy and it does the job fantastically - unlike a Sabatier one I had which was useless and not comfortable to use)

Took two bags to CS today filled with mainly some clothes and books. I haven't read most of the books but they have been in my 'to be read' bookcase for 2+ years and realistically these ones aren't going to get read - I keep passing them over for more interesting sounding ones. I released 23 books and still have 2 shelves full to read (I did have the whole cupboard full, double stacked at one point, so massive progress has been made)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Greent snap - I had a book-release session yesterday and have 17 in the boot for a CS drop. Me & DH do have "keeping" authors that we re-read, but I also pick up books in CS that then get redonated.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh I'm so glad that books are a current topic, I logged in to ask specifically about books. My OH has an Ipad. Is it possible to download books to read on an Ipad? He keeps buying books, at the moment it seems almost fortnightly a knock at the door brings another purchase from Amazon. However his actual reading appears to be confined to a Sunday paper and Twitter! If he bought the electronic version it would stop the increasing physical clutter coming through the front door. I'm reluctant to purchase a Kindle if he could read on his Ipad.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Yes, you can download the Kindle app to an ipad - it won't be quite the same eg some Kindles have special lighting to make it easier to read, but it's perfectly functional. However ... if he really loves books, reading on a Kindle may not fulfill his needs. Do you know why he isn't reading the books he buys?
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Slinky wrote: »
    Oh I'm so glad that books are a current topic, I logged in to ask specifically about books. My OH has an Ipad. Is it possible to download books to read on an Ipad? He keeps buying books, at the moment it seems almost fortnightly a knock at the door brings another purchase from Amazon. However his actual reading appears to be confined to a Sunday paper and Twitter! If he bought the electronic version it would stop the increasing physical clutter coming through the front door. I'm reluctant to purchase a Kindle if he could read on his Ipad.

I download and read on an iPad mini with no problems except the amount of money I spend on them. The CS was cheaper at 3 for a quid.
    All that clutter used to be money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport