Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Comments

• Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    honestly i just think talking to any form of professional might help. i think part of it is just feeling like i need validation in my feelings from someone who can do so without be doubting their reasons.

CBT helped somewhat with my anxiety, but at the moment theres a lot going on with my family and its bringing up a lot from the past that id buried. ive recently moved to a new area so i might see if theres anything there that would help.

sometimes i wish i could just up and live in a caravan on a cliff with no contact with the outside world!
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well, did a quick google, and it seems that Talking Therapy is a blanket term covering the following.......

Counselling
    Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
    Psychotherapy
    Family therapy
    Relationship counselling
    Group therapy
    Interpersonal therapy
    Behavioural activation
    Mindfulness-based therapies

And you've tried a couple of those.

Group therapy might give you validation, especially if any of the group have identical experiences to yours.

I don't know much about most of the others.

Some of the others might be of more help. They'll probably be around later.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Welcome to the thread Katapolt. I don't have any personal experience, I know one friend with depression finds CBT helpful, another with EUPD (BPD in American) and some PTSD mixed in found it less so, but she's on the waiting list for DBT now.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Last week was a nightmare with noise, again quiet at night quiet from lunchtime to evening to crazy amount of noise in evening so bad that when funnily enough it was at its worse when a friend arrived Friday night he barely got through door when he himself heard it and asked if I was sure it wasn't the neighbour being burgled.

It sounded like a group of kids stomping and running about, so loud my lightshades were again wobbling about and my own glasses shaked at one of the crashes so the vibrations must of been extreme and my glass on the table actually rattled and fell over.

Been ok since then, a few very early starts i.e 9am, but not sure if its the weather meaning I put on heating high or something else but had sore throat.

And drained of energy
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Interesting turn of events with neighbour, the council contacted her today and she saw me in the hallway and stopped me and discussed the situation, she was polite but made contradictions to her previous comments i.e before she told me she was Italian and her husband did shift work, she told me today shes Polish and she looks after the kid herself and the male voice I hear is a friend who is deaf in one ear who looks after the kids when she is at work.

She did downplay the noise telling me like before it was from the flat above hers and how her kids spend their time on laptop, when I mentioned the noise I heard on Friday night especially she went "oh that was because I had 4 friends round and 8 kids in total in the flat"

So in other words a somewhat contradiction to the noise unless shes trying to get around the idea by saying its the 6 kids from her friends that are making the noise, and went on to say "kids make noise, nothing (she) could do about it"

One worry though was she had a 8 week old puppy which she admitted shes been looking after the past 2 weeks (in other words basically since Christmas Day) I don't know if thats a lie and she has in fact got a dog for Christmas and knows its against the council rules and can get in trouble.
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2018 at 9:14PM
    Also slightly nervous as i think me and Swain are getting our own place in 2 years time. His mums not happy with his dad and wants to move in 2 years when her pension comes in, meaning Swain will have to move out. We are both going to give her £20 a week to save for us and n 2 years time that should cover the moving costs/deposits etc. Its scary but its real and tats making me want to save money more than ever so its a good motivator at least :)

Why give her the money? Can't you set up a regular deposit, high interest account of your own? Jointly, or singly, you'll save a fair bit without involving Swain's mum.

ETA: Happy New Year!!! I'll go back to hovering.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Why give her the money? Can't you set up a regular deposit, high interest account of your own? Jointly, or singly, you'll save a fair bit without involving Swain's mum.

ETA: Happy New Year!!! I'll go back to hovering.

I would say, two reasons......

1. If someone neutral knows you're saving, and sees the evidence, you're less likely to default.

2. If you have have access to your own account, it'd be tempting to dip into it sometimes, or stop the payments.

For the same reason, I told everyone I'm doing the Dry January. There's less chance of me failing if people know I'm doing it. :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• About cravings - what I found very helpful was a sentence in the 5:2 book 'NO ONE is hungry in the first 3 minutes of a parachute jump'. Distraction distraction!

Oooo, ono - we can be naked angels together! (oooo errr missus!) :D Don't read the next bit if you're on Dry January - I hadn't bought any wines from them for ages, so used my enormous balance to get a box of reds in their sale (have you tried this? They have special bargain boxes every Jan. I was delighted they hadn't sold out on 4th). It included 2 bottles of Rioja - the only one we've tried so far, and it is NECTAR. :)

Last year we got 12 bottles of a Merlot in the sale very cheaply, and decided we really didn't like it. The only bottle from them we've ever not liked. We rang up to try their guarantee that they will replace any bottle you don't like, and they said they would happily replace it. 'So what shall we do about returning it?' we said. They said 'Oh, just keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' An excellent company, IMHO.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 January 2018 at 3:06PM
    Putting this out there for anyone who might want to submit evidence.

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/independent-review-of-the-mental-health-act
    Ends 22 Jan.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Well I have made a few changes for my health in recent years.

Gave up drugs
    Stopped seeing people that were a bad influence
    Gave up smoking
    Gave up adding sugar to anything
    Gave up gambling
    Gave up impulse shopping
    Gave up caffeine now
    Eat more vegetables

I don't really exercise much lately and I know that would help hugely. I mostly suffer(ed) with social/regret types of anxiety/depression.

I've been doing alot of reading too on my morning commutes and since giving up caffeine (only since christmas) for the first time ever I actually feel relaxed and my head is not all fuzzy and crowded with random thoughts and rubbish all day.

I do not know if this would help anyone else but I read the Allen Carr books for my addictions (helped with all) and i'm currently reading an interesting book on anxiety that I recommend; Dr. Claire Weekes - Self help for your nerves: learn to relax and enjoy life again by overcoming stress and fear.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback