Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa

Comments

• miller
    miller Posts: 1,626
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I applied nearly 3 weeks ago, have had the letter to return a signature (about 2 weeks ago) then nothing, no account number so I cannot pay anything in or order a card reader, totally in limbo. I'm deaf so cannot phone them but did query this via Facebook last week, told that it was proceeding, but still not had anything back!

That's odd. The first page of the letter with the signature form had all the account details on (and I was able to log on to internet banking with the details I supplied at sign-up before that).
  • buffman
    buffman Posts: 436
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    roddydogs wrote: »
    I've changed my pin via the card reader menu!

Thanks. I phoned their customer service department who told me that it was not possible!
  • amibovvered
    amibovvered Posts: 461
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    miller wrote: »
    That's odd. The first page of the letter with the signature form had all the account details on (and I was able to log on to internet banking with the details I supplied at sign-up before that).

Can't find any details on the letter - however, I've just realised that 6 minutes after I posted this I got an email from Ulster Bank saying my account is now open, I will receive a Welcome Pack in the post in the next few days with my account details. Why is it that practically every person posting in this thread has had slightly different information regarding their account? Several seem to have been able to log on immediately whereas I still have to wait until I get this Welcome Pack? Very odd.
    I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss, Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this

Use your imagination, or you can borrow mine!
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,626
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Why is it that practically every person posting in this thread has had slightly different information regarding their account? Several seem to have been able to log on immediately whereas I still have to wait until I get this Welcome Pack? Very odd.

TBH, everyone has had a long wait for the card reader etc. and I'd be reluctant to put money in before that arrives in any case.

I think it's just being made up on the fly!
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    miller wrote: »
    From the main screen, it's under "Security" (8th down on the left hand side); then under "Using a card-reader" (2nd heading from the top) there is a link "Order a card-reader".

Thanks for that I thought I'd ordered a card reader but obviously not until I read your post, you think they'd send one out automatically, and now finding out you have to write a letter to close the account is laughable nowadays.
    A shambolic bank !!!!
  • Tom_Jones wrote: »
    Thanks for that I thought I'd ordered a card reader but obviously not until I read your post, you think they'd send one out automatically, and now finding out you have to write a letter to close the account is laughable nowadays.
    A shambolic bank !!!!

Once you're set up, it really works fine. Once you get your anytime banking card and your PIN, you can use another bank's card reader (I'm using my Nationwide one but it also works with my Co-op Bank card reader and an old RBS one which I've had for at least 10 years). I got my card and PIN within 7 days of ordering them online (still waiting for an Ulster Bank card reader but not a problem if you have another bank card reader).

The only real difficulty is if you want to change the PIN to a more memorable one. You can't do this at an ATM. You need a card reader (the instructions are on the letter sending the PIN). I found that I couldn't change the PIN with my Nationwide or Co-op Bank card reader but I could with my old RBS one (presumably because Ulster Bank is part of RBS group). If you can cope with using the PIN supplied for your new anytime banking card (which you shouldn't need to take out of the house), this is not a big problem.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Tom_Jones wrote: »
    A shambolic bank !!!!
    As has been discussed in this thread already, you do not have to write a letter to close an Ulster Bank savings account.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

The only real difficulty is if you want to change the PIN to a more memorable one. You can't do this at an ATM. You need a card reader (the instructions are on the letter sending the PIN). I found that I couldn't change the PIN with my Nationwide or Co-op Bank card reader but I could with my old RBS one (presumably because Ulster Bank is part of RBS group). If you can cope with using the PIN supplied for your new anytime banking card (which you shouldn't need to take out of the house), this is not a big problem.

I have changed the PIN on my Ulster Anytime Banking Card. I have had it for years, so I can't remember exactly where I changed the PIN - though it must have been at a UK ATM as I have yet to set foot into Northern Ireland (I know, I know, it's on my bucket list!). Might have been at a Natwest or RBS Branch
  • Jaxer
    Jaxer Posts: 204
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My impression so far has been pretty poor.

I applied about 3 weeks ago too. No acknowledgement email or anything else for about 4 days, and then I got an email asking for photo ID to be uploaded to the digidocs site. I uploaded my passport, which was rejected the next day. I tried a driving licence, also rejected, and then when I called them, I was told to ignore the ID requests and send back the signed form they'd sent out.

I sent the form back about a week and half ago, and in between have been receiving texts and emails still chasing the digidocs photo ID. Haven't heard anything back, and last time I called, I gave up after a 10 minute wait. I'll give it until Monday, otherwise it's too much hassle to keep chasing progress so I'll be asking them to cancel wherever it is in their system.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,494
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    8 Days since they accepted my driving licence upload and email confirmations and no letter so far, so no account no or other info. Beginning to think it's not worth it for an extra 0.1%.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback