Cash deposited via bank envelope in branch not credited for 9 days....

Quick query...I pay cash/cheques into my account via an envelope in branch scheme. It has just come to my notice that £100 cash I deposited on 26/9 has only just been credited to my account today 5/10. I have had no adverse problems due to the late credit but just curious...should I push the bank and find out what the hell happened and maybe even ask for a token comp payment as these are supposed to be credited within a day. I do not balance or check my account regularly as this particular account is my bill payment account. I was lucky other funds had been dropping in otherwise it could have been sticky. Never had issues before but its made me nervous of using the quick credit drawers, but I hate queuing lol.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not unheard of for an envelope to either get missed when emptying the container or to (for instance) fall off the pile when being taken for opening, only to be spotted several days later. It might be worth a few minutes of your time to make a complaint, there's a possibility that they'll make a small ex-gratia payment.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The purpose of compensation is to put you into the position you'd have been in if the mistake or fault had not occurred. If you haven't lost out in any way, they're unlikely to pay you anything.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    With interest rates so low, I would only complain if I'd incurred any costs (e.g. overdraft charges). It's not good use of your time, even for quite large amounts of cash. Be grateful that they did credit it, which saved you the worry and hassle of getting it sorted out.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • tacpot12 wrote: »
    With interest rates so low, I would only complain if I'd incurred any costs (e.g. overdraft charges). It's not good use of your time, even for quite large amounts of cash. Be grateful that they did credit it, which saved you the worry and hassle of getting it sorted out.
    Why should they be grateful though. The customer expected to be credited the same day, and this was way below the expectations I would presume?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Never use these envelope drops for cash.

Either use the counter or a machine that actually counts the cash.
    The Post Office will deposit cash too with many banks.
  • I'd never use one of those deposit envelope boxes and yes you should complain....so they are more careful next time!

Once paid in a cheque for £1200 and about 3 weeks later I noticed it hadn't been credited, was agro and time consuming......eventually it was 'found' 91 days later, they said it had gone missing at the handling house, along with others from that branch on that day. I can tell you it cost them dear.....I wrote to them telling them that for everyday they did not find that cheque I would charge them £35 for being overdrawn to me! (this was in the days of bank charges, so it was a matter of principle and they would have charged me if it were the other way round........soon had a call from Barclays to offer a sum. £275! .....they had already paid me £100 for my query to online banking!
    Sunshine
  • System
    Their own unauthorised overdraft rates are a good starting point for these type of complaints. They are hard for them to argue against. ;)
    Sunshine62 wrote: »
    I can tell you it cost them dear.....I wrote to them telling them that for everyday they did not find that cheque I would charge them £35 for being overdrawn to me! (this was in the days of bank charges, so it was a matter of principle and they would have charged me if it were the other way round........soon had a call from Barclays to offer a sum. £275! .....they had already paid me £100 for my query to online banking!
  • Maybe a member of staff decided to borrow it to place on a 'dead cert', lost, and couldn't replace the cash until 5 Oct :)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2016 at 1:19AM
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Never use these envelope drops for cash.

Either use the counter or a machine that actually counts the cash.
    The Post Office will deposit cash too with many banks.

The majority of banking via the PO is done with personalised paying in slips, this is not instant for cash, and no better than an envelope drop
    When you make payments with in using your personalised paying in slip, the money won't arrive in your account until we've delivered it to your bank. See your bank Terms and Conditions.
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services

A few banks including HSBC and Santander offer cash deposits at the Post Office linked to card, so that is instant deposit.

Cheques generally go in an envelope which gets sent to the bank, can take 3-10 days to appear in your account.
  • System
    Do you have actual stats?

The last few current accounts that offered this service all offered card deposit for cash (Coop, Clydesdale and First Direct) only Halifax offered the slip service and BOS actually withdrew it.

Several family members live in a village with no ATM and this essentially provides a bank service there. BOS is closest bank/ATM several miles away.

KxMx wrote: »
    The majority of banking via the PO is done with personalised paying in slips, this is not instant for cash, and no better than an envelope drop

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services

A few banks including HSBC and Santander offer cash deposits at the Post Office linked to card, so that is instant deposit.

Cheques generally go in an envelope which gets sent to the bank, can take 3-10 days to appear in your account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure