• blacksta
    blacksta Posts: 919 Forumite
    it is no brainer
    I owe £3233 @ 0%
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd be more worried that he stuck his esta number/application number up on an open forum that appears on google searches that links to his passport number/credit card details/d-o-b and address. (although for legal reasons I haven't checked that info)

As photome stated, the ESTA number on its own is totally worthless and can't be used to access any further info.
    You can check the status of an ESTA on the US government website, but to do this you still need the passport number and date of birth of the applicant.
    Even if you had all of these details, you still could only find out when the ESTA is due to expire.
  • photome wrote: »
    I dont think the esta number is enough on its own to obtain any details

correct, however
    esta number/application number.............(although for legal reasons I haven't checked that info)

I don't know what info is on the "application" website if he were to retrieve his information.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,352
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    correct, however

I don't know what info is on the "application" website if he were to retrieve his information.

But as said you cant access anything without more details, ie passport number DOB etc
  • scottishperson2
    scottishperson2 Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2012 at 6:59PM
    photome wrote: »
    But as said you cant access anything without more details, ie passport number DOB etc

I couldn't even find the website he applied from, theres so many.

This one is a good clone on the front page.

FAKE WEBSITE THIS IS NOT THE PROPER WEBSITE
    http://www.guaranteedestavisa.com/
    FAKE WEBSITE THIS IS NOT THE PROPER WEBSITE

they even guarantee it by filling in all the questions
  • hamsterholly
    hamsterholly Posts: 318
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    This also happened to someone I know. They just googled it and they went with the top company on there. I must admit I would have been alerted with the fact they asked for payment in euros and not dollars
  • I too have recently been ripped off by this company, and after a series of emails don't expect to gain any satisfaction.
    However, what frustrates as well are responses that suggest USA eservices are somehow righteous and "it's your own fault". Disclaimers, etc may well exist, but this company along with others is exploiting a situation of innocence on the part of folk.
    Top of the heap when Googled doesn't help, as doesn't website presentation that catches the unwary. I last applied for an ESTA visa when it was free, and although I had learned there was now a charge, had no familiarity with how the process would operate, so it is easy to be duped because that is exactly what is happening.
    The suggestions that it's down to you poor sucker is akin to when you're told it's your fault when someone breaks into your house because you hadn't created a second Fort Knox.
    The bottom line is that USA eservices and their kin are exploiting a degree of innocence and misplaced trust. Legal it may be, but it ain't right.
    After all, how many of those involved with USA eservices would utilise their facility to obtain an ESTA visa ? I think I know that particular answer. Another legal rip off.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Most people are gullible when small children.
    Most people grow out of it through learning and experience.

I refer you to McNeff's tagline:
    why is it always somebody else's fault? <sigh>
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • it ain't right.

I would agree with that. Unfortunately the rules in the UK allow it.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,303
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 May 2012 at 7:05AM
    Top of the heap when Googled doesn't help,

The ones at the top, in the yellow box, are clearly labelled as ads. They have obviously paid to be there, but that's how you know they are adverts and the ones to avoid. The official website doesn't need to pay to advertise itself.

The official site is the first of the unsponsored links.
    It has the description 'Home page of the U.S. Government's Official Web Portal for all ESTA transactions'
    I'm not sure how they could make it any clearer.
    The suggestions that it's down to you poor sucker is akin to when you're told it's your fault when someone breaks into your house because you hadn't created a second Fort Knox.

Clicking on one of the advertised links is more akin to opening your front door and inviting the nice man with the stripy jumper, eye mask and bag marked 'swag' slung over his shoulder in to have a look around.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business