passed passed on and on and on

Hi all,
Had an old loan with hsbc from about 12 years ago. i did a debt managment plan about 10 years ago and hsbc froze interest and made smaller payments over longer time. and since then the debt keeps getting passed from company to company i still owe just over £1000. I heard if the debt keeps getting passed along you can write to the most recent company and ask them to provide you with your orginal credit agreement and if they don't have it the debt can be wiped is this true?
Thanks

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello there,

If the loan was taken out before the 6th April 2007, if the debt collection agency cannot produce a copy of the the original agreement which clearly sets out certain terms and is signed by you - it may be legally unenforceable. What this means is that if they were to try and take you to court, you may be able to defend the claim. There has been a large amount of legal action surrounding the unenforceability of debts and it can be a difficult path to tread - We would suggest seeking legal action.

If an agreement is unenforceable it doesn't make the debt void. A creditor could still ask for payment, process information on your credit file and even bring legal action against you. That said, we have come across many examples where a creditor will stop chasing for payment if it cannot be proven that there is such an agreement available.

You can request a copy of the agreement from the current debt collection agency by sending a payment of £1 along with this letter. It's important to know that you could be sent a copy of what the agreement may have looked like - which doesn't need to show your signature. This would satisfy the information request requirements. In addition, there have been instances of creditors winning at court by convincing a judge that an agreement was signed at the time it was taken out - but is subsequently no longer available.

As you can see, it can be a bit of a minefield - but for the sake of £1, do consider making a request to see what you get back. You can then make an informed decision on what further steps to take.

Best wishes,

David @ National Debtline.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Please make sure you find a template letter for your CCA request. It must contain the right words to make it legally valid. Payment of £1 is also required to make it a valid request.

And I would certainly request it if I were you. HSBC lost the agreements to my accounts and that has put me in a much better position with the debt collector.

If they do come up with the agreements your position is no different to now.
  • Thanks very much For your help. Hsbc pray on young niave customers on low wages throwing loans and gold credit cards at 18 year olds. Me and my hubby has struggled with money our whole adult life because we were sucked in by them. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure