DVLA Sorn Question Help needed pls to appeal

pesky2
pesky2 Posts: 2,191 Forumite
Anyone help with a quick DVLA question, Took Vehicle off road afew months ago as only use this particular one afew times a year and cashed in Tax disc for refund, Forgot to tick a tiny little box on the form which i couldn't remember seeing to declare sorn, afew months later they come after us with a fixed penalty of £80 for allegedly not declaring sorn, can i appeal and if so how, can't find any details on DVLA about appealsThanks in advance

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Best to declare sorn and pay up asap. The DVLA are Nazis, and if you fall out of line (not reading the little bits on their letters) they fine you to the hilt and there's no appeals process.
  • pesky2
    anewman wrote: »
    Best to declare sorn and pay up asap. The DVLA are Nazis, and if you fall out of line (not reading the little bits on their letters) they fine you to the hilt and there's no appeals process.

There forms are stupid, it should automatically tell them its common sense that if taking it off road that we are declaring sorn.My partner wants to ake it further, but as you say when looking around there appears to be no appeals process
  • pesky2
    Thanks fir the info anewman my thanks button doesnt work
  • Speaking as an ex-DVLA employee - don't bother appealing. The amount of people I used to have to deal with who had the same issues as you and there is absolutely NO way round it.
    The argument they will use is on the V14 form there is quite a large RED box which says everything about declaring your vehicle SORN http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/V14.pdf

Sorry but there is no point banging your head up against a brick wall.
    ;)I am not a complete idiot - some parts are missing;)

• On Thursday we received 22 letters for vehicles we have, an oversight - the SORN reminders were put to one side and forgotten about. So now we are looking at a £40 fine for each vehicle, £880 in total. I don't mind a punishment if it fits the crime but I find this incredibly steep for such an oversight. Is it possible to appeal?. If only to get the amount reduced.
    Thanks in advance
  • Bernie
    Bernie Posts: 412 Forumite
    ...and did you notice how the cheeky rip-off merchants of the DVLA provide a nice 0870 contact number on the V14. Fine evidence how a monopoly supplier can abuse it's position to stiff it's "customers". On a par with hospital parking fees...
    “When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.

But when I got to be twenty one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.”

Mark Twain
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anewman was right. Guess it was something you didn't want to hear and that was why your reply was so rude. No need for that.

Pay up what is due.. it is not an outrageous sum for goodness sake and it was you that made the mistake, not DVLA.
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • I wouldn't bother appealing, my car was written off by my insurance company in June shortly before the tax was due to run out, and after sending my insurance company the logbook etc I was fined by the DVLA last month for having no tax on the car even though I don't have the logbook and havent since June.

After being on the phone to the relevant office I was told the fine stands and must be paid, told them it won't be paid till I speak with my insurance company as surely they should have informed the DVLA it had been written off.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    pesky2 wrote: »
    There forms are stupid, it should automatically tell them its common sense that if taking it off road that we are declaring sorn.

Why? You could be selling it on and are cashing the tax in. You could be scrapping it and are cashing the tax in. In March, there'll be a fair few people cashing their tax in and retaxing the car for 12 months to avoid the VED hike.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    pesky2 wrote: »
    Anyone help with a quick DVLA question, Took Vehicle off road afew months ago as only use this particular one afew times a year and cashed in Tax disc for refund, Forgot to tick a tiny little box on the form which i couldn't remember seeing to declare sorn, afew months later they come after us with a fixed penalty of £80 for allegedly not declaring sorn, can i appeal and if so how, can't find any details on DVLA about appealsThanks in advance

Looking at the link in post #5, I cannot see a "box to tick"? I have filled in that form for a refund and declare SORN, I am not anticipating any probs, I took it to our local DVLA office, (on 28th November), had it stamped and got a copy.

It is also showing on the DVLA website , vehicle enquiry, as "SORN not due"

Bernie wrote: »
    ...and did you notice how the cheeky rip-off merchants of the DVLA provide a nice 0870 contact number on the V14. Fine evidence how a monopoly supplier can abuse it's position to stiff it's "customers". On a par with hospital parking fees...

Well don't use that number, use this one; - 01792 782341, it takes you to the menu from where you can go anywhere.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport