PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got this cookbook today. I paid £3.25 and thought that was quite expensive... Till I looked it up on Amazon and discovered how much people are paying for it!

DH thinks I should sell it but I want to keep it as it's a lovely book.
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I got this cookbook today. I paid £3.25 and thought that was quite expensive... Till I looked it up on Amazon and discovered how much people are paying for it!

DH thinks I should sell it but I want to keep it as it's a lovely book.

Wow that's an expensive cookbook, you got a bargain there, will have to keep a look out for it in the charity shop.
  • 415SanFran
    415SanFran Posts: 743 Forumite
    Options
    I know it'sthe wrong time of year but, last week I found a lovely vintage candlewick bedspread, reminded me of my grandma the moment I saw it.
    It cost £4.00 and is perfect, no stains or anything no tufts missing, went on the line the next day,so now it's all ready for winter.
    Ebay 13 ;)........1583.46/2000.00 Amazon sales 54/50 Etsy sales 63/50
    Amazon 14.......4/50 Etsy14............46/75. Ebay........23/200
  • moneysavingmumofone
    Options
    The Barnardos in town has had a 99p clothing offer for ages now but evrything is usually grubby/shapeless/faded! However I thought Id have a look the other day and was really pleased to get 2 tshirts and some pyjamas for my DS and a gorgeous white snowsuit for my pregnant sister all for 99p as kids clothes are 4 for 99p! I also got 3 x ceramic plane moneyboxes 48p each and 3 Power rangers 'pressers' craft things for 48p each! So its well worth nipping into the charity shops that are usually rubbish, you might strike lucky. :)
    'They only had one cow!'
  • kate1974
    kate1974 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    All this talk about books in CS made me realised that my best ever find was the book that supposed to be taken out from libraries in 1940-41 in USSR and destroyed on purpose when the author was announced as Enemy of the State.
    So imagine my shock when I saw this book in Book Yard in Hay-On-Wye for the £3.00-I'll never sell this book-it is part of the history(yes very sad part) but can't even think of value of this book in present days.
  • Prawny
    Prawny Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    I've only been shopping in charity shops for a few weeks, but I think I'm hooked!!

I've not got any bargains this week, just a couple of paperbacks at £1 and £1.50. I wish charity shops near me sold books for 25p or 50p.

Last week, I bought a lovely French Connection top from BHF shop for £3.30 which I am very pleased with.
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lovely pair of Max Mara sunglasses yesterday for a tenner - very unusual style and looked brand new, still in their case with the little Max Mara lens cloth. They would have been about £120 new.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kate1974 wrote: »
    All this talk about books in CS made me realised that my best ever find was the book that supposed to be taken out from libraries in 1940-41 in USSR and destroyed on purpose when the author was announced as Enemy of the State.
    So imagine my shock when I saw this book in Book Yard in Hay-On-Wye for the £3.00-I'll never sell this book-it is part of the history(yes very sad part) but can't even think of value of this book in present days.

Sounds interesting- which book is that Kate?

I collect old science fiction with lurid covers. Picked up a 1960s Arthur C Clarke's Prelude To Space (in which he correctly predicts communications satellites, but envisages that rockets will be launched on mile-long tracks in Australia) for 99p in an Oxfam- the cover is plain silver, because in the future everything will be all shiny and modern!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • kate1974
    kate1974 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds interesting- which book is that Kate?

I collect old science fiction with lurid covers. Picked up a 1960s Arthur C Clarke's Prelude To Space (in which he correctly predicts communications satellites, but envisages that rockets will be launched on mile-long tracks in Australia) for 99p in an Oxfam- the cover is plain silver, because in the future everything will be all shiny and modern!

This book is written by Nikolai Vavilov,soviet biologist and geneticist.There's some information about him here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Vavilov
  • kittendothroar
    Options
    I picked up a really pretty and brand new 'per una' sea green vest top for £2.50 in the hospice shop :)
    I love food, hate waste and have a penchant for sparkly things ::D

Trying to find a work life balance...:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family