Only freedom will do

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Realised that it's the inside, and what it means for living a life that works for me, that counts

Well put BW, we will be keeping the feeling that the house already has (of a much loved family home) and modernising it so that it serves us as long as the last owners (they managed 30 years!!!)
    The inside of this house was stunning, the outside not so much as he didn't live in an amazing area and it ensured that if there any chance burglars they went to better looking houses.

Sounds a bit like my parents house. Boring on the outside bar a well kept garden, but full of designer coffee tables and fancy finishes inside :D
    Great stuff Ed

Thanks GG, might need a new diary in the light of current economic realities (i.e. mahoosive mortgages that I will need to arrange) :eek:
    So, when's the house warming and are we invited?

Early November with a little luck and yes, all welcome!

The garage (does anyone actually use garages as garages these days?) will either be torn down and replaced with a posh shed (it contains asbestos for starters), or maybe turned into a man cave in the short term. Probably a longer term project as we'll be moving in in winter and it's not the time to build anything in Scotland!
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Congrats mr ed. I truly believe that it's how a house feels to you that's important.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • misscousinitt
    Options

Early November with a little luck and yes, all welcome!

You might regret saying that :rotfl:

Seriously, that's absolutely fabulous news....congratulations.

MCI:)
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I sell my next house I would like to do it in Scotland.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    You might regret saying that :rotfl:

What's the worst that can happen? Oh God GG - not the curtains!!!! :eek: :rotfl:
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Wow, things are moving along quicky:)

Great news
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Friday again? Time must be flying, as I don't remember it passing :eek:

I woke up late this morning, think I must still be coming down from all the excitement last week. Either that, or DD's fault, she seems to be alternating religiously between peaceful and chaotic nights. We will be moving her into the nursery this weekend, the time feels right :)

Loving the simple things, like picking DD out of her crib in the morning, or having her sit on my lap in a sideways hug while she gazes around the room to remind herself of where everything is.

Currently in the slightly nervy holding stage found between any major transition, anxious that something will go wrong, but confident that we have done everything that we can to avoid this.

Have tried to rein in the finances a bit this week, the last couple of weeks saw me buying breakfast, coffee, lunch and occasionally dinner out as we scrambled to hold viewings and visit our own possible new homes.

Rebuilding some small streams of future income after cashing in my ISA to help fund the house purchase, up to something like £2k split between R@tesetter and Funding C1rcle. R@tesetter is reliable but unspectacular at c. 6%, FC more (but very very slow to lend out money). This leaves me about £3k 'spare' in cash, but there's a good chance that it will end up getting rolled into the house deposit. Part of me is telling me to use some of this money for the mythical 'fun' of which I have heard so much, but I have become very spending averse (bar the odd gallon of whisky).

Have accepted that matched betting is now effectively a dead duck for me. Banned by a lot of bookies and can't work up the energy to get banned by the others ;) There are a couple of books that we will use and abuse on Mrs E's behalf once we move house, but nada in the short term. I still dip in and out of the forum every couple of days to look for risk free slots offers, as a good win at one of these is worth £20/mth over the course of the year.

Other than that? Looking forward to the weekend as some crazy cooking projects. Considering a trip to the Chinese supermarket on Saturday for giant onions (Thomas Keller french onion soup) and pigs feet (ham hock Sulze).

Happy Friday everyone :coffee:
  • chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great to hear the good news both on your sale and the offer for your new place being accepted. You must be in a sort of calm-before-the-storm period right now. Exciting but a bit scary too. Try to hold onto the exciting part of that feeling!

The Scottish system seems so much more effective that the English system. No gazumping and a set date. I'm not in London but I hear that it can be a desperate scramble to even get the opportunity to make an offer on houses down there.

I loved hearing you talk about how you love it when you pick up your baby girly and sit her on your knee as she looks around the room. Moments to treasure.

I enjoy reading your diary even though I don't post often. Good luck for the big move.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely post, Ed, how sweet to think of the little one reminding herself where everything is :) Those slots offers ... okay, now I've had two consecutive pushes at decluttering into my recycling bin, from next week, I'm going to be doing matched betting. I'll look at my diary tonight and work out the best time - I suspect, for me personally, it'll be Thursday, I need plenty of time before the Saturday to set things up properly.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Awesome weekend started :)

Trip to the mahoosive Chinese supermarket this morning, with bizarre highlight being pigs feet! :rotfl:

Also managed to pick up loads of seasonings, chili oils, catering grade vegetables, seaweed and miso.

Then we went for a trip to the suburb where we are buying our new house and had a lovely early lunch, followed by a long walk in a beautiful park (in the rain) and a nosy at the mansions that throng the tree lined streets around said park. I can hardly believe that we are moving somewhere so beautiful and peaceful :A

I am now spending 4 hours cooking onions so that I can make Thomas Keller's French onion soup for Mrs E tomorrow. It's one of her favourite dishes and I think this is a wonderfully OTT recipe. Suffice to say that I have never previously cooked anything that required a whole basin of sliced onions :eek:

Hoping to cook Sulze tomorrow if I have the time and will otherwise be pottering around with housework, spreadsheets and maybe a few glasses of vino collapso :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure