PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Denby 'Bakewell' 2pt casserole dish with handkes

2»

Comments

• Thank you everyone, I may just try it on a lower heat and cook for longer and see how I get on as It will sit on a shelf otherwise as we would not use it for anything else.

Still a bargain at £2.50
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If I cook a casserole I always cook it on low for a long time - probably about 150 for 3-4 hours.

Denise
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2014 at 6:20PM
    I am pretty certain it will be fine and Denby are just covering themselves.
    You could do a trial: half fill with water, put in a dish, then put in the oven on the setting you'd use for a casserole. You won't waste food that way.

It is just possible it is a soup tureen, you could try searching for a Denby soup tureen and see if it matches yours. They usually have a narrower base and round out much higher than the traditional casserole. They aren't designed for the oven,.
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I have the same dish as you describe which we got as a wedding present 30 years ago and it's been in and out the oven many many times over the years.
    Every days a School day!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Just checked in my Denby book (I know, I should get out more. :o) and it says 'tableware'.

"Traditionally shaped, glazed in dark brown and hand-painted with a bold ochre flower and stylised leaf sprays".

I was quite surprised that it was mid-80s, I thought it was much earlier.

I've seen quite a bit of this design in charity shops and always assumed it was oven-to-tableware.

Don't go too much by the base stamp.
    I know from experience that Denby was notorious for using all sorts of different base stamps and some items that I know are Denby don't have a stamp on at all.
    So just because it doesn't say 'ovenproof' doesn't make it so.

If I remember, next time I see some Bakewell, I'll check the base stamp out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure