PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Unblocking the toilet - any ideas?

Options

Comments

• jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you - bottom cut off a 2L pop bottle made the perfect impromptu plunger and worked a treat
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
  • paul_jonathan
    Options
    Just to say following a toilet blocked with kitchen paper I was all ready to call in an expensive plumber when I came across this thread. Had to use both the rounded toilet brush AND the plunger. Worked like a charm! Had to use the brush vigorously a few times, found the plunger worked well when the toilet was full of water/stuff.
    Thanks again!
  • girdlestone1
    Options
    Hi all. This is all new to me so bear with me. First time on this site.
    I have an ensuite which has a low level shower, handbasin, and loo tge whole lot was installed from new about 18 months ago. Have always found the shower runs slow very frequently. Bottle if Mr muscle and clean filter every two weeks and nobs a pain in the backside but a good'un nevertheless.

No probs with sink. But then about 6 months ago started getting a cabbagey smell! Did shower and sink drains, still there. Loo not behaving as if blocked but it's the only thing left. Had septic tank emptied and all inspection covers lifted. Nothing. Got plumber in and he wants to take up floor tiles of my lovely new ensuite to check the pipes under floor boards!!!

This has already cost me £300 in plumber time and tank emtying, which in identally was unnecessary.

Does anyone have any less drastic AND CHEAPER ideas? There is a farm next door, but I have to say the smell is no worse with window open, and I'm a farm girl and I'm pretty sure that's not a farm smell of ANY kind.

Help please??
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    It's probably a silly suggestion, but have you tried an air freshener for the smell? Our Cat's litter tray is in the downstairs loo, & the room is smelling better for the addition of a neutra dol gel air freshener.

My bath drains super slowly as there's hardly any incline in it (as demonstrated by DS2 rolling marbles & bouncy balls in it...), & it clogged gradually leading it to block recently. I suspect henna hair dye may have been a contributing factor to this, so haven't dyed my hair recently ;-)

Anyway, while DS2 & I had used a clog cannon to try to unblock the bath, we'd actually dislodged the pipes, then the plumber cross threaded them while putting them back together, causing a slow leak from the waste water pipe. It's fixed now, but you could have something like that which is I think why your plumber wants to have a look under the floor tiles. Could you get to the pipes yourself to be able to check?

Was the room a bathroom before you had the new suite put in & if so what was the drainage like then? Were the pipes used a big enough diameter?
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • girdlestone1
    Options
    Thankyou. You can still smell through the air freshener unfortunately.
    I've posted this in the wrong place haven't I?? Sorry should have been a new thread. I'll suss it out soon!
    Unfortunately I have a disability so there's no way I can get at the pipes myself. I was just wondering if I'd missed something obvious that I could have done myself that's all.
  • aga93
    aga93 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Same old problem. The water level was as normal, but flushing took the level up to the rim, and was unsatisfactory still. Knew of mop trick but not of using a bag. So, tried that but no improvement. So, a few days later, I started to look at other approaches, but decided to give the mop one last go.

Eventually, I gave up, exhausted. Drifted away, but about 15 min. later I heard this loud noise, a bit like a lorry misfiring. I assumed it was from the road, but I looked in the toilet, just in case, and that's where the noise was coming from. The water level was now very low and was a bit agitated. So, I decided to give it another go, and, lo and behold, all was now OK!!!

So, the moral is, don't give up too soon. If at first you don't suceed, try, try, and try again.

Good luck every one.
  • restless6
    Options
    So glad I found this thread!!

My toilet blocked all night with water up to the rim.

Spent ages poking it with a plastic tube and various other items until I googled and found this thread.

I don't own a mop but managed to get a water bottle out the bin and used it as a plunger and it worked!!
  • Not if I can help it. The DIY suggestions sound a lot better.
    I have just decanted most of a bottle of bleach down the lavvy.
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • dvsang
    Options
    Hi. I can help you How To Unblock A Toilet Without roles tape can you view video in youtube and search
  • Joeyhaslam
    Options
    Bought the below from B&Q

ROTHENBERGER PIPE & DRAIN CLEANING COIL (L)1.37M (T)40MM

Works a treat, used it to clear several blockages including 2 toilets and a shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure