What do people think of this TEFL course? £55 for a TEFL/TESOL certification

Options
£55 for a TEFL/TESOL certification from Global Language Training worth £325

Also seems accredited. http://www.actdec.org.uk/members.shtml although it's under
"Applicant Membership of ACTDEC registers intent on the part of the institution, to seek accreditation for a specific course (or courses) and, by implication, signals a willingness on the part of the institution, to adhere to the high standards set out in the code of practice."

Anyone heard of this company? What do people think of this?

http://www.kgbdeals.co.uk/national/deals/69851

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Never heard of them, but watching the post with interest as this is something that I've been considering.
  • Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anything that makes claims like that i tend to steer clear of

Especially on groupon type sites
  • heretolearn_2
    Options
    I knew something similar had come up recently. Consensus is that it doesn't really qualify you to teach although depending on the qualification you might get a job in some dodgy place in thailand...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3430421&highlight=tefl
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • Scott1c
    Options
    Kdamani. I taught English in a Bilingual school in Thailand for eleven years. The course doesn't look legitimate to me. Really you need to look at doing a CELTA, or Trinity Certificate. They are both expensive. Experience working with children will generally be considered more valuable, maybe you could get experience working with the Brownies, Cubs or youth group. Most TEFL work is teaching kids, not all but most. Experience in a UK school would also be very valuable.
  • kdamani
    kdamani Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I knew something similar had come up recently. Consensus is that it doesn't really qualify you to teach although depending on the qualification you might get a job in some dodgy place in thailand...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3430421&highlight=tefl

Yup, that was with TEFL express, who apparently accredited themselves, making them totally unreliable. I'm just thinking that if this company seems a bit more trustworthy, this deal is pretty good as a 120/150 hour online course is about £300. Though still researching it, as perhaps this deal is too good to be true.
  • dizzyrascal
    Options
    Most established and reputable TEFL courses take a good few weeks to get through and charge approx £1.000 so this one looks too good to be true. I think sometimes the course is offered free as long as you work for the company at a destination of their choosing for a fixed term. If you don't fulfil the contract then they can recover the fees they have spent in training you. No reputable courses operate this way, which probably tells you all you need to know
    There are three types of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.
  • Kate78
    Kate78 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    If you are going to spend your money on a TEFL certificate, then I would go for either the Trinity College London TESOL certificate or the CELTA (google either of these to find providers).

Both cost around £1000-£1200 to complete and can be done as a four week intensive course. All the good schools request one of these certificates as the entry level qualification. Online certificates can be a useful introduction, but the CELTA/Trinity qualifications require teaching practice and observations to pass and this is valued by employers.
    Barclaycard 0% - [STRIKE]£1688.37 [/STRIKE] Paid off 10.06.12
  • bluenitsuj
    Options
    I have been looking for a while and considering the following:
    http://www.tefl.co.uk/

Would anyone recommend this, part 2 does involve practical teachings in a classroom. The price is about £400 total for both parts. Part 1 an intensive 20 hour 3 day weekend course, and then Part 2 is 80 hours of distance learning.

Any feedback, especially anyone that may have done this course. I have also been looking at the TESOL course but not sure which to go for.
    I am only trying to help :rolleyes:
  • conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bluenitsuj wrote: »
    I have been looking for a while and considering the following:
    http://www.tefl.co.uk/

Would anyone recommend this, part 2 does involve practical teachings in a classroom. The price is about £400 total for both parts. Part 1 an intensive 20 hour 3 day weekend course, and then Part 2 is 80 hours of distance learning.

Any feedback, especially anyone that may have done this course. I have also been looking at the TESOL course but not sure which to go for.

I taught TEFL and ESOL for over 15 years in Australia, Laos and England. As other posters have said, the only qualifications worth doing are the CELTA and Trinity TESOL. Anything else is a scam and not worth the paper it's written on, honestly.

What country do you want to teach in? Have a look at Dave ESL Cafe forum for advice on what qualifications you need for each country. Some countries don't even require EFL qualfications, only a degree. If you want to teach in England you're better off doing one of the new FE qualifications (assuming you want to teach adults; there's very little work teaching ESOL to children in the UK).
  • Lith
    Lith Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure about these TEFL/TESOL certification courses... i've got a friend who teach in china with out them.. also NEVER USE an agency... if its china then... Come to China first and then find a job. Don't let an agency arrange everything for you -- if they do your visa, accommodation, schedule, etc., then they are able to trap you. I've heard way too many horror stories.....

Of the old hands who teach, many search through a network of foreign friends living in a city to look for a job. It's best not to go through an agency and to try to speak to schools directly. Public middle schools in Beijing, for example, pay RMB 9000 per month (no accommodation provided) and expect 12-16 hours of class from you. Universities pay RMB 6000, provide accommodation, and expect fewer hours of class. But this is Beijing tho...

- Good Luck, but you don't really need those... unless you want to teach in big places because like I said I know a friend whos
    (still there...) never teached in his life never had TEFL/TSOL or degrees

And most schools would happily accept British over american any other day (not a racist thing..) just most schools would love to prefer British English rather than american English but 90% schools always have american teachers...
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income