Price for installing gas cooker

Hi there

Just wondering if £90-£95 is a fair price for installing a gas cooker. It seems a bit on the expensive side to me.
There is a copper pipe but no other fittings are available (unless they arrive with the cooker?).
Also, will a CORGI gas installer be able to wire in the electrics (there's some lights inside the ovens)

Thanks

Comments

• laura1976
    laura1976 Posts: 298 Forumite
    What sort of cooker is it? I had a dual fuel range cooker connected by my corgi gasman 3 weeks ago and it cost me £65. Think it depends where you live as well though, obviously if there's more competition they'll be cheaper. Does your local council run a "buy with confidence" scheme? It's a list of approved traders which means you shouldn't get ripped off and should have a good job done.
    Smokefree since 27-9-2007
  • It's just gas - although it needs some electricity for the lights inside the ovens.
  • laura1976
    laura1976 Posts: 298 Forumite
    Well it should only be a standard installation charge then. To be honest I'd grab the yellow pages and look up the CORGI table in the GAS INSTALLERS section. Phone 3 or 4 and see what they say, mine took the guy about 15 minutes to install but I think they all charge for an hour as standard, and they should bring a new gas hose with them, I think they have to put a new one in every time. My chap did the electrics for mine but he did say keep that between ourselves because although he was perfectly capable he should have had a ticket for it. I was just glad because it saved me paying out for the electrician to come back..(I'd ordered a dual fuel without realising I had no electric cooker socket in my kitchen!).
    Smokefree since 27-9-2007
  • Hi there
    I did as you suggested Laura & rang the council - no joy.
    I got more quotes & they all seem to be similar. One guy did break it down though saying it was £55 + vat = £64 for labour, and £25 inc vat for a "fixing kit" making £94 in total. He said he'd wire it into the electrics as well unless there was something wierd about it.
    I rang the cooker manufacturer & they don't supply the fixing kit nor would they tell me how to get one! They said it was because of CORGI regs in case i got the wrong one but i pointed out that the "spec" tells you what type of connection it is anyway! They said the fitter has to supply it. Ah well, so much for trying to save more money
  • Skiduck
    Skiduck Posts: 1,973 Forumite
    we fitted one today - labour £60, fittings £15 - included bayonet, hose, backplate elbow and safety chain, 75 plus vat, 88.13 inclusive.
    Not our cheapest installation, but the house was rank, so it was a bit of danger money for the installer. £95 is in the top end of the scale but not a rip off if they have to supply the hose and bayonet etc
  • Fitting a gas cooker is a fairly quick job (certainly not a days work) not you're going to be charged for a half day even if it only takes an hour. If you have any other gas jobs get them done at the same time. I waited until my gas fire was being fitted, as got him to plumb the Range Cooker and dishwasher (which included pipework as the dishwasher hole had previously been a cupboard) and he only added £50 to my fire bill.
  • Missk - That's really good advice - boiler check due soon. Wish I'd seen this in time!
  • Hi, I live in Sussex and have just been quoted 100 quid to install our dual fuel cooker. can you tell me the name of the company/person who installed yours so I can see if they are near to me?
  • keylock000
    keylock000 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 2 January 2010 at 3:18PM
    cost of installation of gas cookers depends on the labour the heating teck is charging
    most cookers have a bayonet fitting which can be disconnected by a person who is competent but does not have to be qualified as the gas regulations make an exeption in these cases (use common sence and care)
    if you're changing like for like then there should be no extra load to the pipework
    but if you're putting in a larger cooker then you might be putting the existing system at risk and therefor should call a gas safe registered installer to check pipe sizes (biggest killer at this point is carbon monoxide)
    an installer becomes responsible for your entire installation (boilers,fires,cookers,and any other gas units in your house) and so is obliged to check everything in the home before and after the new or remedial works are carried out and then has to sign the paperwork to state that everything was in order ........so thats what you're paying for in the long run...... peace of mind and a safe installation
    personally between £60 (cheap) to £150(expensive) or somewhere in the middle is ok but in most cases should only take an hour or so to install and check
  • arfurrrr
    arfurrrr Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    don`t for get the extra costs , that most people don`t see and thats running costs , insurances , vans , bad debts , gas safe fee , CPD training and assessments etc etc etc and there is also a bit called profit .

£95 inv vat , less materials , less tax , how much has he made £45 , less van he had to buy to drive to job and fuel and all the above , whats he made now £30 quid for 30mins(in your house) + time to and from yours another unseen cost .

and all that if the gas pipework doesn`t need upgrading !

£95 in reasonable , £65 is mates rates
    Arf :think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family