Avoiding Sky TV's Call-Out Charge

If you have a fault with a Sky TV box or dish that's out of guarantee and call Sky's technical helpline, they will charge you £65 for an engineer to visit, or try and sell you a maintenance contract.

However, we discovered this week that if you ring Sky customer services to cancel your subscription and give poor reception as the reason, they will offer to waive the fee and send an engineer free of charge!

Thought this was worth sharing.

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    its better to cancel sky completely and save a whole load of dosh.
    Get some gorm.
  • You are both right
  • Hi yes they are very expensive indeed we feel. we were charged £65 last year and our son was almost finished his training with them, and the lad who was out with us said that the charge was wild. My son heard a lot of people saying about the charges and were not happy at all with it. I know we would save a lot of money each year if we were rid of sky, but my husband and son love the sports etc so it stays. If it were only me here it would def. go:) I love some of the channels though, but I think Sky's charges are outrageous and they are not the easiest either to phone up and you are for ages on the line to them if there is a need to ring. I think also that they are rubbish at customer services. It is all about money it seems to the company.
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • Fit a heat sink to your sky box to increase the life of it. I fitted one of these years ago and never had any need to call out Sky (I just fitted the heatsink, not the fan)
  • link does not work
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Yes, it kept killing my link. The company is called "satcure" - you'll have to google them. You might find the product from other suppliers too, but £10 to double the life of your sky box isn't bad.
  • They will repair it free, but I don't need that now as I cancelled last month.

My last direct debit was £0.73, and it is now cancelled.
    baldly going on...
  • The installation man when we had our Sky+ fitted told us the same tip - obviously tied into 12/12 contract but box covered by the warranty for that time anyway - after that threaten to leave and you can call the shots.
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    owever, we discovered this week that if you ring Sky customer services to cancel your subscription and give poor reception as the reason, they will offer to waive the fee and send an engineer free of charge!

On the face of it, this looks good. However, it costs money to pay for an installer to drive to your house and back. There's fuel, maintenance, wages, nat insurance. pension and a host of other costs. Somebody has to pay and it ends up added to everyone else's subscription, which goes up year after year.

On that basis, this kind of blackmail isn't doing anyone a favour.
  • Moneymaker wrote: »
    On the face of it, this looks good. However, it costs money to pay for an installer to drive to your house and back. There's fuel, maintenance, wages, nat insurance. pension and a host of other costs. Somebody has to pay and it ends up added to everyone else's subscription, which goes up year after year.

On that basis, this kind of blackmail isn't doing anyone a favour.

There again though the cost of telephoning Sky and the cut they get should be enough recompense
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure