We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Comments

• I am in the thread called Comping Guide - Getting Started... and all the links pointing to the "Comping Guide" take me to the posts about how useful the comping guide is, but I can't find the actual guide. What am I doing wrong?
    Is it one of the posts within this thread?
    I can't find it !

Thank you
    A
    Amazingly grateful and stunned by those who post these competitions. Thank you, and for all the love on here ! x
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I am in the thread called Comping Guide - Getting Started... and all the links pointing to the "Comping Guide" take me to the posts about how useful the comping guide is, but I can't find the actual guide. What am I doing wrong?
    Is it one of the posts within this thread?
    I can't find it !

Thank you
    A

Hi,just read from page #1: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1014121

Lots of info there.
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Done a few amends to Guide this morning:

Posting Comps > '11 Are there any sites, from experience, which are likely to generate lots of spam?'
    New site (Bouncing-Babies) added to the list.

More Advanced > '9 Is there an easier way to enter the daily magazine comps that you have 5 or so questions to answer 'No Thanks' to?'
    compsalex is regularly updating his list of variables to put in Roboform so now there is just a link to his thread (thanks compsalex!)

Getting Started II > '2 How do I keep track of which comps I've entered and what are the green ticks and red crosses for?'
    Now the green tick/red cross icons and useage has settled, the info is now in the Guide along with all new screen shots. Hopefully, this will make it easier for you to be able to just point new compers to this section of the Guide to have a read.

Big thank you to all the compers who PM me to let me know when there is something to amend in the Guide. It may be my name on the posts but it is kept up to date by effort from all of us! :beer:

If you do spot anything on the Forums that you think should be added to / amended in the Guide then please send me a PM - I would prefer 15 different members send me a message about the same thing than everyone thinking someone else will do it & I don't get any! :cry:

Likewise, if you read anything in the Guide that you think may be old or things have changed, please send me a PM. I have read the Guide so many times now that I can't see things for looking! :o

Thanks x
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • suec
    suec Posts: 254
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help I did a batch of comping a couple of years ago and I was trying to find a site I used to see if I won anything. Unless I am making the whole thing up in my memory. It was a site you could enter your name to see if your name was on a winning site. The only reason I am asking is that I think I have just missed out on a prize by luck I saw it on a facebook page but I think I am a few days late to claim (I have tried will have to see). I didn;t receive an email as far as I am aware.
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 April 2013 at 10:25AM
    suec wrote: »
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help I did a batch of comping a couple of years ago and I was trying to find a site I used to see if I won anything. Unless I am making the whole thing up in my memory. It was a site you could enter your name to see if your name was on a winning site. The only reason I am asking is that I think I have just missed out on a prize by luck I saw it on a facebook page but I think I am a few days late to claim (I have tried will have to see). I didn;t receive an email as far as I am aware.

Hi suec, I'm afraid I don't know of a site like that.

You will get a lot more people read your question and possibly be able to give you an answer if you post in our Compers Chat Corner which is for discussions and questions and stuff, rather than this thread which is FAQ for starting to comp.

There is a lot more 'foot traffic' in the Chat Corner, best of luck with your hunt! :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • Wildatheart
    Wildatheart Posts: 13 Forumite
    Gosh, i didn't realise there was so much to it. New to this. I've seen a couple of competitions come up on Facebook and wondered whether they were worth the hassle
  • Becky0306
    Becky0306 Posts: 513
    First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    Gosh, i didn't realise there was so much to it. New to this. I've seen a couple of competitions come up on Facebook and wondered whether they were worth the hassle

they are well worth the hassle, you can win some really cool prizes, but be warned, it's addictive, once you're into it, it's hard to give up....so it's worth to think twice before you start....:D...x
  • Thanks great thread
  • centsible
    centsible Posts: 951
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    is the guideline for posting comps to include http(s):// or to exclude it? i've realised that when i've duped comps it can be (like today) because I've searched and posted with the full URL, including http://, while the original is a stripped URL, excluding http://
  • lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I normally use a stripped url to search. If nothing comes up I doublecheck by searching for the prize.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure