PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you buy a home close to an electricity substation???

Comments

• CB1979_2
    CB1979_2 Posts: 1,335 Forumite
    i've had no problems living next to one.

but i get really bad pains in my 3rd ear and hunch back.

there's no health risks at all ;)
  • I have no experience but it would put me off buying the house.
  • epz_2
    epz_2 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    I dont belive in the cancer stuff but i have seen the hole in the ground and surrounding walls after one exploded and it was big, would probably wouldnt put me off as the rarely go boom but i would expect a hefty discount.
  • cats!
    cats! Posts: 267 Forumite
    If you can get it at a good price and you're happy with that, go for it. But negotiate the price way down!

Always amazes me that the people/buyers who tend to view properties like this when you sell query the health implications of a small sub-station whilst reeking of fags and booze! Just one of life's observations!
  • Red_Panda_2
    Red_Panda_2 Posts: 261 Forumite
    There has been a house for sale near me with one of those fenced off in the back garden. Its a lovely house, in one of the most sought after areas in the town. All the other houses are on the market for a few weeks max. This one has been for sale for over a year, every now and then the for sale sign comes down and another company goes up, but still not sold.
    Any spelling mistakes are entirely on purpose to check you're paying attention :p
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    i'd rather buy a house close to pylons/sub-station etc than on a flodd plain.
  • Hepatacyte
    Hepatacyte Posts: 14 Forumite
    No, I would not buy such a house. Had the chance a few years ago. My reason was the risk of leukeamia. I spoke to a highly qualified radiation physicist who told me there was lots of debate but no firm scientific evidence either way but that he would not buy it. Good enough for me. Why take the risk? And you may well struggle to sell it.

"We are all surrounded by electric cables in offices, homes, when walking in the country etc. We are constantly bombarded with radio, magnetic and various other frequency waves with no ill effects and have been for many years"

There is world of difference between the EM field from a 240V lightbulb, or radiostation, and that from a high voltage stepdown transformer. Field strength is dependent on voltage (among other things): higher voltage, more powerful elcetromagnetic field. To compare the 2 really is chalk and cheese.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If it's a reasonable distance from the house (10m say) then I wouldn't be bothered. Does it have a 50Hz hum though?
    Happy chappy
  • 00mrmark00
    00mrmark00 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Thank you all for taking the time to give your opinions. Certainly seems to be some mixed feelings about this one...

To answer Olly300's question, the substation in question looks similar to the one on the right hand page of the link. However, as I say it occupies an area of only 3-4 meters sq, standing 2-3 meters in height. Not to intrusive... http://www.edfenergy.com/powerup/key...out/page3.html

The vendor has already slashed the price from £169,000 to £155,000... My recent offer of £147,500 is still being considered. However, the property needs £15-£20k spending on it to bring it up to date, without taking into account any discount for the radiation box :rolleyes: I'm still undecided...
  • 00mrmark00
    00mrmark00 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Can't here any hum from it... I would say it's more like 10m away from the rear of the property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure