How much disposable/leftover cash do you have?

Hi,

This is quite a personal question but...

How much money do you have leftover each month after you have paid all of the essential bills - mortgage/rent, utilities, travel costs/fuel, food and minimum debt payments? Basically the money that you can do whatever you want with.

Trying to work out how much 'spare' cash we actually need each month.

Comments

• YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We are a family of two adults and two teenagers and have £250 a month after all bills have been paid, and a little put aside for Xmas/holiday/car bills/clothing. We try to pay £100 extra off the debts leaving £150 for any entertainment, kids activities and anything else that crops up. We have just had to pay out £45 for school books and a course my son is doing so this doesnt always go as far as you might think.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Amount left over each month a negative figure.

Amount I feel I can do whatever I want with around £30 per week £130 per month. That covers clothing, eating/drinking out, entertainment, some unbudgeted travel costs and unallocated expenses etc...

I probably spend double that.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • I have about £350 for entertainment / things I can't budget for. I don't earn much money (I'm a mature student nurse) however I've really worked hard to get best deals over the last few years and cancel anything none essential. Also I don't have kids, a car and I share a flat, which helps.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    After all my basics it's currently £300 or so, but my income changes a lot due to working contracts, so I usually put the remainder into savings/paying off a debt. I always try to pay more than the minimum to my cards. If I had no debts I would be quite comfortable on my income!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure