Real-life MMD: Party-pooping payment request - should I pay up?

Options

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need more information to make a decision. If it is worth £25 (such as Go-Karting, Alton Towers, Go Ape etc) and your son really wants to go then it is worth paying for.
    If it is just a meal or then really not worth it. Think about whether you would normally pay that much for the day out being offered.

If I was holding a birthday party at home or a reasonable price place out (McDonalds, Pizza Express) then I wouldn't expect guests to pay. But for something expensive such as Alton Towers, Go Karting etc the a contribution to the cost would be expected
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    jon81uk wrote: »
    Need more information to make a decision. If it is worth £25 (such as Go-Karting, Alton Towers, Go Ape etc) and your son really wants to go then it is worth paying for.
    If it is just a meal or then really not worth it. Think about whether you would normally pay that much for the day out being offered.

If I was holding a birthday party at home or a reasonable price place out (McDonalds, Pizza Express) then I wouldn't expect guests to pay. But for something expensive such as Alton Towers, Go Karting etc the a contribution to the cost would be expected

If you want a party -have a party......if you want to plan a group day out then call it a group day out and not a birthday party.
    People expect to contribute to group activities -they don't expect to pay for another child's birthday party.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • elizabethhull
    elizabethhull Posts: 765 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 October 2013 at 11:24AM
    Options
    I'm staggered and appalled by this one. If the party is that expensive, then the host should be doing something different.
    I know things move on, and what was appropriate in one generation may no longer apply, but my girls occasionally went to the 'cost-a-lot' sort of party, and the parents always paid. We generally had traditional parties, with lots of games thought out beforehand, lots of homemade food (planned by the girls themselves). You might be surprised how many times parents came to pick up their children and stayed to play ! Often the party went on long after the supposed finish time, but the feedback was always that the invitees loved our parties because they were fun.
    It's different with adults - if someone suggested a celebratory meal out but everyone paying their own way, I wouldn't think it wrong, but even then most of the dos I attend are paid for by the person whose party it is. Can't see that working for children, though !
    I think the OP should decline with thanks, and hope to get a chance to talk it over with other parents. It's a very unwise slippery slope here.
  • Elisecas
    Options
    If you're thinking, "this isn't ok," but say "yes" then you help start a new trend where some people think this is ok.

It's a child's birthday party. They are already out of hand compared with when we are kids. Children accept whatever norms we set for them. Don't let this become the new norm. We have more important things to spend our hard earned dosh on.
  • jorok
    jorok Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    No, don't pay for a child to go to a birthday party. No doubt you are expected to take an expensive present too. What a cheek.
    Birthday parties are reciprocal and children should not even expect to take a gift home afterwards never mind pay for the privilege.

Just don't get caught up in this scam otherwise everyone will start doing it.
  • jorok
    jorok Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    eab170888 wrote: »
    I think it was to do with paying for teachers' presents at school, and the whole class being asked to contribute?
    Ridiculous. Who else gets gifts for doing their job other than teachers. There is no obligation whatsoever to join in with this gift culture at school.
  • Eleanory
    Options
    Absolutely not! This is outrageous and sends the wrong message to children that hospitality is not free.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 30 October 2013 at 12:01PM
    Options
    jorok wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Who else gets gifts for doing their job other than teachers. There is no obligation whatsoever to join in with this gift culture at school.

Wrong thread but...........
    Lots of people Postmen , Hairdressers, Travel Agents , PAs and Secretaries, Waitstaff and bar staff, Dustmen, Salespeople . All of the above I've either gifted at Christmas as a sign of my appreciation of their efforts throughout the year or been given gifts in the role myself. People like to say thank you .....whilst working at Sky on the phones I had a customer insist I gave her the office address so she could send me flowers -(I told her to fill out a customer satisfaction survey instead )....and one year there I had a local butcher tell me to pop down for a free turkey after I'd fixed his broadband on the phones LOL (I'd already ordered my turkey so didn't ) I don't *expect* anything from customers for just doing my job but it is lovely when they show appreciation -it's no different with teachers.

Now back to parties...........................
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • chocky
    chocky Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    I love these MMD's and Im sure Im not alone in wanting to know the outcome of the original dilemma! I think the person originally asking the question must return here to read the answers so could they please tell us all what happened next :)
    chockychocky :A
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Depending on your son's age, if he's old enough or has enough money sense, explain to him that he could go to the parties but it will cost the same as buying him... e.g. a new xbox game, x amount of DVDs, those trainers he really wants etc. and see whether he feels it's worth it.

Personally, I wouldn't expect to pay for a child to attend a party or expect children to pay to go a party. I think if parents start accepting this, it will become the norm and children will end up missing out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure