PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Got a potato, onion and sausage bake in the remoska. To be honest it looks like enough to feed a lot more than the three the proportions in the recipe suggest it should but wanted to use all sausages up. Got some pilgrims choice pregrated mature cheddar in Mr T today, don't normally but like that but the deal made it cheaper than all but the value and they only had that in mild.

Also got some prunes following the discussion on here a while back but as there was also reduced chocolate fudge cake will be going in the cupboard. I'm going to see Fences (the film) tonight, which hopefully will be good. Hopefully the weather holds as it's not a fun walk in the rain. Contemplating having some wine even though it's a Thursday.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Willowx wrote: »
    Got a potato, onion and sausage bake in the remoska. /QUOTE]
    Sounds like "stovies" yum hope you've added lots of pepper :D
  • Willowx
    caronc wrote: »
    Got a potato, onion and sausage bake in the remoska. /QUOTE]
    Sounds like "stovies" yum hope you've added lots of pepper :D

I can see why you say that but it's not (or at least not like my stovies turn out) the potatoes are new ones thickly sliced that are cooked until done (rather than slightly I'm not sure smushy? When I do stovies), also the onions are just quartered. I also mix cheese in at the end, it's more of a bake you'd do in the oven.

Not done stovies in ages, I always like mixing ketchup in mine and serving with bread.
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nelski wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

1 Kg of branston a day ...easy :D
    Yep pickles count as part of the 5 a day (or 10 whatever you do) - they were talking about the 10 a day thing on the news and it was mentioned there about pickles counting!
  • sitesafe
    ....Contemplating having some wine even though it's a Thursday.
    I would love a glass of wine right now....not had one since the weekend...
  • caronc
    edited 2 March 2017 at 8:58PM
    I can see why you say that but it's not (or at least not like my stovies turn out) the potatoes are new ones thickly sliced that are cooked until done (rather than slightly I'm not sure smushy? When I do stovies), also the onions are just quartered. I also mix cheese in at the end, it's more of a bake you'd do in the oven.

Not done stovies in ages, I always like mixing ketchup in mine and serving with bread.
    Has to be brown sauce on mine........... Your bake sounds lovely :D
  • sitesafe
    Don't really fancy it to be honest... but it's food and it's there.

:)
    I can relate to that too - sometimes I think I eat just because I can, or if it's chocolate or wine, because I can't stop myself
  • sitesafe

I do most of my mixing/beating/whipping/blending using a fork and a jug, by hand.
    Me too, although I came unstuck today when I was considering making carrot and coriander soup to use up the coriander which will have now gone off because I didn't make the soup...I didn't like the idea of lumpy carrot soup so didn't bother making it in the end as there was no food blender in my or my boss's house....I have used a hand blender in the past but ended up making such a mess in the kitchen that it put me off!
  • caronc
    sitesafe wrote: »
    Yep pickles count as part of the 5 a day (or 10 whatever you do) - they were talking about the 10 a day thing on the news and it was mentioned there about pickles counting!
    There seems to be so much confusion on this some say pickles/olives don't count due too the high salt others they are fine. Given that preserving fruit/veg is the mainstay of so many of the lauded "healthy diets" from around the world why would they not count;). Equally some say 5/10 different fruit/veg others as much variety as possible. I get why juice/smoothies and processed stuff like tinned soup/baked beans only count as one regardless of portion size but the rest of it pfft....:mad: Me to be honest I like my fruit & veg, pickles and pulses etc. so not a chore to eat but do I eat 10 under the strictest guidlines nope do I actually care nope but think there is a real risk that the mixed messages are going to put folk off as it just seems like too much hard work.......:cool:
    Steps back off of soap box and continues eating her veg laden very tasty savoury mince with pasta........ :D
  • Willowx
    I never have brown sauce, I've not tried it since I was a child but I didn't like it then, I like things now that I didn't as a child but a bottle of sauce take the better part of a year to get through if I do like it and I don't like throwing things away if I don't have to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure