National Grid Pension Transfer Buddy

Pipers
Pipers Posts: 4 Newbie
Hi all,

This may be a long shot. Does anyone know how I can find a "pension buddy" who's transferring out of the National Grid DB pension scheme. To be a buddy you need to be transferring from National Grid to the same receiving pension scheme. You need a Buddy if you want to preserve your protected pension on transfer - which I do.

Also, has anyone managed to complete a buddy transfer from National Grid?

Any thoughts appreciated

Comments

• HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pipers wrote: »
    Hi all,

This may be a long shot. Does anyone know how I can find a "pension buddy" who's transferring out of the National Grid DB pension scheme. To be a buddy you need to be transferring from National Grid to the same receiving pension scheme. You need a Buddy if you want to preserve your protected pension on transfer - which I do.

Also, has anyone managed to complete a buddy transfer from National Grid?

Any thoughts appreciated

I can't help find you find a buddy, but it might be useful to know which benefit is protected, and why you are trying to transfer and keep the protection, in case an alternative course of action presents itself.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • I have a protected retirement age earlier than 55. I am coming up to 50 and will be able to access my pension. I am really keen to transfer out due to the value I have been offered but do not want to give up my early retirement age. "Buddying Up" seems to be the only option to do this. It is very frustrating as they are HMRC rules yet if I could do this transfer they would benefit from tax I would be liable to pay for exceeding my LTA.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    but it might be useful to know which benefit is protected, and why you are trying to transfer and keep the protection,

I believe that some NG pensioners in certain circumstances have a "protected pension age" of 50.

I don't know whether there is protected tax free cash in excess of the norm.
  • xylophone
    "pension buddy" who's transferring out of the National Grid DB pension scheme.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73095043#post73095043

A couple of electrical types above.....

It seems that the Scheme is still

providing generous transfer values..... as per this ad...http://www.grove-pension-release.co.uk/news/guidance-for-national-grid-pension-schemes/:)
  • HappyHarry
    Pipers wrote: »
    I have a protected retirement age earlier than 55. I am coming up to 50 and will be able to access my pension. I am really keen to transfer out due to the value I have been offered but do not want to give up my early retirement age. "Buddying Up" seems to be the only option to do this. It is very frustrating as they are HMRC rules yet if I could do this transfer they would benefit from tax I would be liable to pay for exceeding my LTA.

Yep, you're looking at a buddy transfer under those conditions.

Other options might be;
    (i) move but lose the protected retirement age,
    (ii) take the scheme pension at age 50, and / or look at commuting as much to tax free cash as is possible, depending on the commutation factor.
    (iii) see if a partial transfer is an option, allowing you to transfer some of the fund and lose the protected retirement age, and then draw a smaller scheme pension and possibly tax free cash at age 50.

Does the scheme have any penalties for drawing at age 50?

Be aware if you find a buddy, that not all personal pensions will be open to you, as protected retirement age is fairly niche.

As you say, this is one of the restrictions imposed that mean the U.K. taxpayer is likely to be worse off. There was a window a year or so back when the buddy rules were waived, but they are back in place now.

Are there any Facebook groups for ex-employees where you might find a buddy with the same intent?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Buddy?
    Damn Americanisms! :mad:

:p:D:D
  • Many thanks for your thoughts - as you say protected retirement age is fairly niche! Looking at your options,

1. I could move and not get my pension for another five years but if I was to do that I would lose the security of having a guaranteed income until 55 (as well as 5 years of pension). It is something I am considering though.

2. As things stand I can take my pension at 50 with no penalties. The commutation factor is not that good unfortunately and pales in comparison to the transfer value.

3. They don't allow partial transfers so that's another avenue blocked

facebook group is a good idea - will look into that. There must be someone out there wanting to do the same thing.......
  • xylophone
    There was a window a year or so back when the buddy rules were waived, but they are back in place now.

See
    http://www.scottishwidows.co.uk/Extranet/Literature/Doc/FP0548

There was a temporary relaxation of the block transfer rules
    between 19 March 2014 and 5 April 2015. Anyone who used
    this opportunity had to take all of their benefits before
    6 October 2015.
  • HappyHarry
    Thanks xylophone. It felt like much more recently. I must be getting old. 😕
  • xylophone
    I must be getting old.

I know the feeling - it deepens every time I pass a looking glass and catch a glimpse of a grey hair ....:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure