PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 9:11AM
    Kitchen size - just got my rule out.

It's deemed a small kitchen I gather. I tend to regard it as medium-size but awkward.

It's only 112 square feet and the pantry is 5' x 4'2".

I couldnt manage without that pantry I feel - as there isnt actually much room for units per se in the kitchen itself. So base units:

- set of 4 drawers
    - double cupboard worth (ie with "magic corner" in)
    - single cupboard worth under the sink

Wall units:
    1 single - 3 shelves height
    2 doubles - 3 shelves height
    some shelving

So I definitely need that pantry - as I'd struggle to get any space to store food in the kitchen itself (apart from my fridge and freezer).
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm out of a lot of food ... but I shouldn't go shopping for more 'basics' as I'll get lured by the other stuff I pass.

I should be staying in and eating something from the freezer. Have to see how that works out.
  • My kitchen brings me joy :)

We were very fortunate in that we had a new kitchen put in five years ago. My first ever kitchen designed by me, for me, and it works

Very lucky as well that DH is a builder so he done all the knocking walls out, putting in the door openings, blocking some Windows, opening up others, so I wasn't constrained by existing layout. Was a complete building site for 3 weeks, but I still love it as much as the day it was completed

ive cupboard space for everything, the only thing that lives on the counter other then the kettle and microwave it's my magi mix so I've always got room to work. If I decide on a cooking session, away I go, no having to clear space or go hunting around the house for a bit of equipment , everything is at hand

I happily potter away half a day in there :)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 18 May 2017 at 12:05PM
    ... new kitchen put in five years ago... DH is a builder ...

With more money and a builder "on tap" I'd change the kitchen I've got. But, as it is, I'll leave it.

I'd like a breakfast bar - but in this house that's impractical as it'd be at the base of the stairs to the bedrooms - so potentially not a great idea :)

My small extension COULD have been an open plan kitchen/diner with a breakfast bar between, then combine the existing kitchen with the hallway to be a lounge.

But all of that work, including taking down a wall, would be too expensive for something I "don't really want" and certainly don't need. Unless it were "done for free" with an on tap builder it'd never give back the amount I spent on it probably either.

I had a breakfast bar in the place I rented before here - it was very wide and a great spot to dump down shopping to sort it all out, or to spread out paperwork to sort out - and if I owned a breakfast bar I'd probably also use it for all sorts of reasons.

But you have to balance out money you have, the cost, the hassle and what you're really gaining from it.

For me, for this house, right now, doing major work to reconfigure something just isn't worthwhile on a number of levels.

Everything has a cost, so it's "want" -v- "desire/go mad".

My parents kept their plates, glasses, cutlery in a sideboard in the living room, where the table was. Maybe others do that. All mine's in the kitchen and I've no table (yet).... table and some built in window seats are "on the plan" to do next year.... as part of the "jiggle stuff around in the kitchen" project. Those seats will be storage-unit based... giving room to store god knows what... as by then I should have pan drawers.
    It's deemed a small kitchen ..... It's only 112 square feet and the pantry is 5' x 4'2".
    Mine's 96 square feet. Is your pantry "and" or in that measurement?
    - double cupboard worth (ie with "magic corner" in)

If I planned one, it'd have something like this:
    https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/howdens-howden-prod/web_content/content/image/2808-5147-1.jpg

Plain and simple, open two doors and be able to see everything in there. No daft carousel cluttering up the space, that nothing fits onto and things drop from... just simple doors, shelves, accessible, visible.

But I notice the door on that looks a bit funny.... looks like it has a fiddly edge on it, I'd not want a fiddly edge :)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,115 Forumite
    PN - Ikea (and probably other places) do a moveable kitchen island which you could put in the centre of your kitchen and would give you more work surface and more storage without the cost of redoing the kitchen. It has the added advantage that you can move it around to where you need it or if you need it out of the way.

I have no units in my kitchen, and all my stuff is stored in crates. It's been like that for nearly 4 years now. Hopefully I'll the builder back to sort out the rest of downstairs sometime soon...
  • PasturesNew
    greenbee wrote: »
    PN - Ikea (and probably other places) do a moveable kitchen island which you could put in the centre of your kitchen and would give you more work surface and more storage without the cost of redoing the kitchen. It has the added advantage that you can move it around to where you need it or if you need it out of the way.

I have no units in my kitchen, and all my stuff is stored in crates. It's been like that for nearly 4 years now. Hopefully I'll the builder back to sort out the rest of downstairs sometime soon...

I've got it in my list to investigate movable islands as I thought the new utility extension might be somewhere to pop one of those to provide storage/table top.... but I'd not gone looking for them (yet).

The one you linked to doesn't look large/functional enough to be use nor ornament for me though :)

I was thinking more of something "full breakfast bar sized" containing pan drawers... but on wheels.
  • With more money and a builder "on tap" I'd change the kitchen I've got. But, as it is, I'll leave it.

I'd like a breakfast bar - but in this house that's impractical as it'd be at the base of the stairs to the bedrooms - so potentially not a great idea :)

My small exentension COULD have been an open plan kitchen/diner with a breakfast bar between, then combine the existing kitchen with the hallway to be a lounge.

But all of that work, including taking down a wall, would be too expensive for something I "don't really want" and certainly don't need. Unless it were "done for free" with an on tap builder it'd never give back the amount I spent on it probably either.

I had a breakfast bar in the place I rented before here - it was very wide and a great spot to dump down shopping to sort it all out, or to spread out paperwork to sort out - and if I owned a breakfast bar I'd probably also use it for all sorts of reasons.

But you have to balance out money you have, the cost, the hassle and what you're really gaining from it.

For me, for this house, right now, doing major work to reconfigure something just isn't worthwhile on a number of levels.

Everything has a cost, so it's "want" -v- "desire/go mad".

My parents kept their plates, glasses, cutlery in a sideboard in the living room, where the table was. Maybe others do that. All mine's in the kitchen and I've no table (yet).... table and some built in window seats are "on the plan" to do next year.... as part of the "jiggle stuff around in the kitchen" project. Those seats will be storage-unit based... giving room to store god knows what... as by then I should have pan drawers.

Believe me, I know I'm lucky and buying flat pack and building ourselves really made it affordable. But I appreciate affordable to us is completely different to another.

I too have a sideboard with the dinner service, every day stuff is under the hob so easy to serve up onto :)

The storage seating sound like a great job, you really can't have enough storage. I have a tall very narrow cupboard that filled a gap and whilst it looks like it's not really useful, it's full of stuff like half tins of paint that would ruin if in the garage,vegetable seeds, the cat food and old towels and cloths which I mop the wet foot prints up with

It's funny that I'm not a tidy person, but I can't stand clutter, it has to be put away and hidden from sight. My rooms may look tidy, just don't open the wardrobes or cupboards :rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    I've got a pack of sweet mini peppers... mixed colours, four 2" long and one big-toe-sized. I keep staring at them. Yes I have a ton of ideas of how I could use them, but most are an unsatisfying end result.

I'll probably end up just knocking up a rice/chilli mix and stuffing them then baking them .... get it over and done with.

:)

On the other hand, they're not floppy yet.... so can wait a few days.

Might have a fish finger wrap ... wraps need using up, they've got a date of January on them I think ... or February. Long time ago anyway :)
  • PasturesNew
    I have a tall very narrow cupboard that filled a gap and whilst it looks like it's not really useful, it's full of stuff like half tins of paint that would ruin if in the garage,vegetable seeds, the cat food and old towels and cloths which I mop the wet foot prints up with
    My little extension will free up the downstairs loo/hall space (so living room is 1.5x the length) - and the loo with a shower will go into the extension - and the rest will be a utility area with a big sink and washing machine. The rest will be space for stuff... so some form of cupboarding.

Stuff that's randomly around and needs its own space includes: Wellies, shoes I've worn recently so might use again soon, two airers, some rubber tubs I use for handwashing and window washing, dusters, bleach, cleaning stuff, spare stocks of loo roll etc, small handtools, my planned crafts/hobby collections, pegs, bike panniers, the folding garden chair and lounger, old rags and old sponges and old toothbrushes for cleaning, all the recycling sorting out.

The new "spare space that will include a washing machine/sink" will be about 10'x8' ... but I can't visualise, so in my mind's eye it's about 30'x20' :)
    So I'll have to go easy as there won't really be "that much" space to play with in the end.
  • The pantry space is in addition to the 112 square feet of kitchen itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure