PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Consider that kitchen door locked - and key pocketed.

Last of kitchen clearing now done. Someone please explain to me why I accummulated 5 rolls of kitchen paper! I'd like an explanation too as to how come I've got clingfilm and silverfoil - when I dont even use them.

Followed by an explanation as to why some people design/fit kitchens with a "dead corner" in there - that is capable of having stuff pushed back into that half cupboard worth of space - for one to then forget all about it for evermore afterwards. That does puzzle me - as the cheapie kitchen my father installed in my starter house didnt have a "dead corner" (ie because my father fitted a carousel in there). My new one won't have a "dead corner" (ie because I'm going to put a carousel in there). So - duh??:huh:

I just hope all the cleaning materials that were "hidden" away there are still usable. I can tell just how old some of them are by the fact that some of the bleach is from Waitrose. I havent been anywhere near Waitrose since moving - as there isn't one anywhere near me now.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ... why some people design/fit kitchens with a "dead corner"
    This is one of my HUGE bug bears - and you're the first that seems to "get it"!

It's dark, nasty, inaccessible and stuff's just stuffed there.

I dislike the concept of carousels too though, I figure anything you own will never fit and stuff will drop off the back and be tricky to extract.

My desired kitchen design has a simple corner piece of this, with two doors:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/simply-hygena-southfield---oak---935mm-highline-corner-base-unit-235080

What's not to like about that? You can see what you've got, reach it, nothing's tricky or hidden and nothing that'll break over time :)

In short: Corner, shelves, two doors opening it all out.

I think it should be the cornerstone of any kitchen design!

I had one kitchen where there was no corner... the corner was simply non existent as they'd put two single units together and "boxed in" the corner ... I used to have nightmares about what might be happening in there, unseen! It was an old/damp house.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That one pot rice meal was delicious, amazing what a bit of himalayan salt and pepper will do and also got through 3 of my veg. It would work in a normal pan too, I am sure, as long as the amount of water to rice is correct and the heat goes right down after coming to a simmer. I just put the rice in, water herbs and then two small pieces of partially de-frosted and skinned cod, topped with frozen leeks, frozen green beans and fresh purple sprouting. Could have added a tomato. I would certainly try it in one pan, with a good lid on, if I didn`t have my rice cooker. I feel pleasantly full and will now have my g & t soon Don`t drink often but was tired after yesterday and am relaxing today. making a needle felted fox from scraps of fleece. That meal eas so mouth satisfying that I don`t feel like a crunchie :D
  • I did think about whether to have one like that Pastures and went for a carousel in the event because I figured I could pull it out easily and get at whatever is on it (in my case - I'm planning on putting my saucepans on it). The carousel in my last kitchen broke after a while - but then it was a cheapie kitchen and bits were breaking anyway over the years.

This is a rather better quality kitchen - with a lot better quality carousel. So I'm hoping it's going to be fine over the years.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I'm another one who's never fit in, I just don't seem to understand the 'rules' of social interaction. Things like why the 'popular' one can exagerrate to the point of lying and everyone loves her, but the unpopular one (me) can exagerrate to simplify things and everyone jumps on it and gets huffy.

I think it's why I do a lot of creative writing, it helps me make sense of the world by having to look at something from all angles, but at the same time everything has rules that need sticking to andd all the 'people' around me (ie my characters) have to behave logically and do as I want.

On the CFO front, breakfast was cereal, a banana and a third of a tin of breakfast apricots. I've taken a thin 'Louisiana inspired' steak out of the freezer to defrost, I think I'll have it with one of the Waitrose rainbow layers thingys.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I tried that biscuit ...twice. Just to make ONE.

First time I thought I'd nuke it for 1 minute, but it clearly burnt!
    2nd time I did it on low power for under 1 minute and it was fine.

Just ate it :)

Did 4g, 8g, 12g, which ends up as a heaped tablespoon full.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I did think about whether to have one like that Pastures and went for a carousel in the event because I figured I could pull it out easily and get at whatever is on it (in my case - I'm planning on putting my saucepans on it). The carousel in my last kitchen broke after a while - but then it was a cheapie kitchen and bits were breaking anyway over the years.

This is a rather better quality kitchen - with a lot better quality carousel. So I'm hoping it's going to be fine over the years.

Im gettng kitchen envy....it may be the biggest nightmare when you are having it put in but how lovely to everything shiny and new :D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 2:46PM
    Ames wrote: »
    I'm another one who's never fit in, I just don't seem to understand the 'rules' of social interaction. Things like why the 'popular' one can exagerrate to the point of lying and everyone loves her, but the unpopular one (me) can exagerrate to simplify things and everyone jumps on it and gets huffy.

I think it's why I do a lot of creative writing, it helps me make sense of the world by having to look at something from all angles, but at the same time everything has rules that need sticking to andd all the 'people' around me (ie my characters) have to behave logically and do as I want.

On the CFO front, breakfast was cereal, a banana and a third of a tin of breakfast apricots. I've taken a thin 'Louisiana inspired' steak out of the freezer to defrost, I think I'll have it with one of the Waitrose rainbow layers thingys.

:rotfl:I know what you mean. I've seen myself and one of the "queen bees" do exactly the same thing in the last week. It was accepted from her/no-one thought anything of "protecting" what she wanted. But I had to "have a word or two" to get the exact same treatment for the exact same thing. Huh??

How does that work? My father brought me up to think people should regard fairness/equal treatment between different people as an extremely important value to have and hence I try to be scrupulously "equal" in my treatment of everyone (as that's how I think people should be) - and he was inclined to "say his piece" if he didnt think something was fair.
  • Nelski wrote: »
    Im gettng kitchen envy....it may be the biggest nightmare when you are having it put in but how lovely to everything shiny and new :D

It's been a l--o--n--g time a'comin'. :)

When you get to your 60s you do think (well I do anyway....) that if I haven't got something or other by now - I get worried about whether I'm ever going to have it. I know that when I get to my 80s I'll definitely think "What's the point by now?" about doing/buying anything much else for the house.

I'll get the kettle on for you if you're ever over in West Wales...:)
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    :rotfl:I know what you mean. I've seen myself and one of the "queen bees" do exactly the same thing in the last week. It was accepted from her/no-one thought anything of "protecting" what she wanted. But I had to "have a word or two" to get the exact same treatment for the exact same thing. Huh??

How does that work? My father brought me up to think people should regard fairness/equal treatment between different people as an extremely important value to have and hence I try to be scrupulously "equal" in my treatment of everyone (as that's how I think people should be) - and he was inclined to "say his piece" if he didnt think something was fair.

I know, you'd think people would eventually grow out of it.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure