lets get back to basics... starting with the butcher

Comments

• I suppose it's not knowing the cuts of meat for different cooking methods. Beef/steak in particular is difficult to fathom for me as a veggie.

I've looked in the window of the butchers and tried to sort out in my own head what to buy before going in, but everyone else just knows what they need off the top of their head.

Plus the butchers is always rammed so I don't feel like I've got the time to browse or ask questions!

sounds as though its a good butcher if its busy all the time:T:T

With the beef/steak, is there any particular meals you were thinking of cooking?
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 February 2013 at 7:53PM
    GlynD wrote: »
    Well yes, although I believe you'd agree with me when I say that it's usually the preserve of the mother to teach a girl domestic subjects. :)

I don't agree at all, I think you are years out of date. The male is the main cook in both my parents' and sibling's households and shared in my best friend's household, I suspect her husband would do more if he wasn't so incredibly busy with work. My aunt, I and several friends of both genders cook for ourselves but we are all single so have Hobson's Choice. :p I have had LTRs where the other party was the main cook (a foodie, heavily influenced by his best friend and BF's father!), shared (a chef) and where I was (manual labourer).

As far as specific instruction my mother was taught the basics by my grandmother her father could not so much as boil an egg, my father and aunt are totally self taught which is surprising given their SAHM ran a very traditional household. Both my sibling and I are largely self taught. Many households don't cook at all these days, most top chefs seem to be male. Daughters are often daddy's girls and/ or at loggerheads with their mother from the tweens.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • I want to express my support for such a great idea for a thread.
    A well needed discussion like this is needed. xx
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • I went to Costco today and the meat section was mega busy with people stocking up. I like their meat and find the quality much better than the supermarkets.
  • lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2013 at 8:46PM
    I often want to buy more from the butchers but don't like to ask too many questions as someone else said. I want the cheap stuff, so i'd be looking for mutton, lamb hearts, game ect do butchers even sell this type of cheap meat? I read before that most of our cheap cuts go out of the country.
    I find i can only get the hearts in morrisons and t's only seem to have a stuffed more expensive version.

Can anyone recommend more cheap cuts to ask for in the butchers?

I also find from the ones i have been in they don't advertise prices well so you don't know what your paying and there is not much chance to change your mind. I'm on a tight budget so like to browse for the cheap stuff but when you go in you get asked straight away what you want eeek!
    5 burgers cost £4 the other day which is ok for a treat but couldn't do that often.
  • sounds as though its a good butcher if its busy all the time:T:T

With the beef/steak, is there any particular meals you were thinking of cooking?

It is a good butchers and has won awards, I think. I'll cook pretty much anything (apart from liver!) it's the cuts that confuse me.

For example, what do you do with sirloin steak and is it the same as fillet? Does rib eye have a bone (one of my lot refuses to eat anything on the bone *rolls eyes*)?

Some of the questions I have are quite basic really :o!
  • here is a pic of sirlion steak

sirlion_zps2c307af5.jpg

and here is a pic of a fillet

filletsteak_zpsd3e6c34f.jpg

fillet is one of the best steaks, and is one of the highest priced steaks..Personally i stopped buying them years ago,

Sirlion and rump steaks are ( I think) the most popular..

Ribeye steaks

RIBEYESTEAK_zpsd18a0f85.jpg

is quite fatty to look at with a thick /large area of fat running through it...

for me personally I think this is one of the tastiest steaks... as the fat running through the meat adds flavour, and keeps the meat moist/tender etc..

no bones in it.

The steak with the bone in it, is called a T. Bones steak, which are normally quite big.

COOKING... I either use my george forman I plonk them in for approx 4- 5 minutes, or I plonk them in a heated frying pan, ( no added fat) and cook 3 - 4 minutes each side...

Steaks are normally individually priced so x£ per steak, or they might do x amount of steaks for x price...

Hubby bought 2 rump steaks , which we will have on monday night for tea...
  • It would be great if there was a butcher on mse, who could answer questions
  • Brill thanks! :)
  • Brill thanks! :)

your welcome:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing