New Ceramic Hob - Pans!

I have just had a new ceramic hob fitted. It's very posh and new (thanks landlord).

I spent £150 on pans many years ago and they're still going and have done me well. However the coating on the underside is coming off in places which has left it coarse in some parts. Now, this worries me as I don't want to damage the ceramic hob especially as we've not paid for it!

Can anyone recommend pans? I've googled it and spent my entire lunch break and not come any closer to deciding what to have. I don't think I can keep my current ones as they are really grainy underneath now. Which would be fine on a gas hob but clearly not on the new glass ceramic one
Money money money.

Debt
Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have just had a new ceramic hob fitted. It's very posh and new (thanks landlord).

I spent £150 on pans many years ago and they're still going and have done me well. However the coating on the underside is coming off in places which has left it coarse in some parts. Now, this worries me as I don't want to damage the ceramic hob especially as we've not paid for it!

Can anyone recommend pans? I've googled it and spent my entire lunch break and not come any closer to deciding what to have. I don't think I can keep my current ones as they are really grainy underneath now. Which would be fine on a gas hob but clearly not on the new glass ceramic one

Solid bottomed stainless steel are my pans of choice

I'd recommend stellar
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, I'd recommend Stellar, the 7000 range are about the best and will work on an induction hob (if you ever move/change hob). HotUKDeals usually have something on offer.
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    So I don't have an induction hob, but that won't matter? I'm not a pan expert - these were my first pans when I had my DS and still using them!

Just can't really afford to scratch this new hob argh

Money money money.

Debt

• JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    I couldnt wait to get wrid of my ceramic hob they are more trouble than they are worth
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    So I don't have an induction hob, but that won't matter? I'm not a pan expert - these were my first pans when I had my DS and still using them!

Just can't really afford to scratch this new hob argh

No, Stellar 7000 (all stainless steel based pans) will work on all hobs, including induction.
  • abby1234519
    JEN22 wrote: »
    I couldnt wait to get wrid of my ceramic hob they are more trouble than they are worth

Unfortunately I didn't get a choice. I did ask the landlord for a gas hob but that's not what I've got...
    Money money money.

Debt

• Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite

Hi, it might be worth using a hob cleaner on the base of the pans before you buy new ones! The astonish hob cleaner is brilliant and only £1. x
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    While I'm possibly in danger of sounding mental....

Is there any reason you can't just sand the bottom of the pan, so that it's smooth?
  • abby1234519
    Grenage wrote: »
    While I'm possibly in danger of sounding mental....

Is there any reason you can't just sand the bottom of the pan, so that it's smooth?

Well, so the outside of the pan is a dark grey, underneath is a light silver. I have no idea what metal it is. I wouldn't know the first thing about sanding pans!
    Money money money.

Debt

• casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Is it really that easy to scratch a ceramic hob then?

We moved into our house 2 years ago and have used stainless steel, coated aluminium and cast iron pans without a care in the world. When we've marked it we've also scrubbed at the hob with cream cleanser and even stainless steel pan scrubbers, and scraped it with one of those steel-bladed hob scrapers.

We've never particularly scratched ours as far as I'm aware - it still looks very shiny (when it's clean!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure