Is MSE geolocked now?

Options
Trying to access from France, but won't load any MSE page.

So how did I get here? Used a VPN.
Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I hope not, we would miss you ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in France - no problems here. (And no VPN either.)
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I'll let you know when I'm next abroad :)
    💙💛 💔
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    BTW, I am assuming that droopsnout has tried getting in from wherever he's been able to do so in the past.

I have had problems in foreign parts with connections in cafes etc not always being happy to load MSE. And as for using a dongle ... that was so consistently bad I just gave up!
  • droopsnout
    droopsnout Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Very strange. I was able to come straight back here without a VPN, yet when I try to go to www.moneysavingexpert.com, I get this Message:

Error code 22

The proxy failed to resolve site from host name, if this site was recently added please allow a few minutes before trying again.

2016-10-08 12:59:38 UTC

• Your IPxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    • |Proxy IP185.11.125.83(ID 10465)
    • Origin Server IPX.X.X.82
    Or sometimes:

Error code 20

The proxy failed to connect to the web server, due to TCP connection timeout.

2016-10-08 13:12:08 UTC

• Your IPxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    • |Proxy IP185.11.125.83(ID 10465)
    • Origin Server IPX.X.X.82

I've removed my own IP as you see, and the Xs in the "Origin Server" line are as presented on screen., but that proxy IP is odd. I've checked my Windows settings and there is no proxy set in there. I have no problem accessing any other site. And why easy access to this page but not to MSE's home page?

If I click on the link at the very top of this page, I get the error message, too.

Thanks for enlightenment.

SavvySue, you are too kind, but in fact I haven't posted here for ages - well not like I used to. (Last post 12 March 2015??) The Silver Surfers Living Abroad thread died, didn't it? 84 pages up to 16 April 2015. We really do need a French equivalent of MSE, you know!

Edit: Yes, Sue, posting from home, same home as before.
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    droopsnout wrote: »
    SavvySue, you are too kind, but in fact I haven't posted here for ages - well not like I used to. (Last post 12 March 2015??) The Silver Surfers Living Abroad thread died, didn't it? 84 pages up to 16 April 2015. We really do need a French equivalent of MSE, you know!
    :rotfl: No, I know you haven't been around as much as you used to, hadn't realised it was THAT long. We could always resurrect the Living Abroad thread or start a new one if you wanted, it did always go in fits and starts. A bit off topic here, but I know some of my 'living abroad' friends are slightly concerned about the consequences of Brexit ...
  • droopsnout
    Options
    I am hugely concerned, especially this week as I transferred a large sum of money from the UK to France on Monday, and the rate I got was £1 = 1.1235€, whereas when I last did it, in December, I got 1.4077€. That's a hell of a whack! It's even worse today, of course, after that midweek plunge that the BBC reports was short-lived. (No, it wasn't!)

But I see that there is already a Brexit discussion that my old friend gfplux is taking part in. I read the last few posts in that thread yesterday, and was tempted to reply, but I thought that if I did, I would spend hours debating the issue when really I should be getting on with other things!

Fond memories, though! And I'm still in touch via email with one or two of the contributors to that old thread.

My very best wishes to you, and I hope you are in the best of health. x
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Options
    I've no idea, but maybe known VPN servers are blocked from accessing MSE as part of the site's attempts to thwart DDoS attacks...?
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Marco says it works in Spain, and Lina says it works in Belarus. That's both the main site and the forum.

That's all I know, and hope this helps. :)
    💙💛 💔
  • droopsnout
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. It does seem to be something at my end, but I've no idea what as I can't tie it up with a similar error occurring at any other site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure