PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting a house on DMP

Options
Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help!

Earlier this year, me & my boyfirend moved into a house together for the first time. Shortly after, I was forced to go on a DMP for various reasons. Our landlord is now selling our house, and so we need to move. My boyfirend is not part of the DMP, but does have a pretty poor credit rating. Will this stop us renting through a LA? We can pay a deposit & month up fornt, but 6 months is out of the question, we could never get the money together as all spare cash goes into my debts!

We are both in full time work and on OK salaries, have never missed a payment or been late where we are now...its just the DMP that worries me! Would prefer not to go private if poss...his last house was through a private landlord and he was horriffic to deal with (im sure not all are the same, but we prefer the security of a middle man!)

Any advice?!

Comments

• Pott5y
    Pott5y Posts: 504 Forumite
    Options
    I have rented my last 2 houses whilst on a DMP (6years and 7 defaults against my name) and had no problems. Just be honest with the Letting Agent. The last form I filled out only asked if I had been bankrupt, IVA or CCJs against me. I said no because I haven't. Normally as long as your (joint) income is enough to cover 2 1/2 times the annual rent and you have no rent arrears you should be ok.
    adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit
    Add a little to a little and there will be a great heap
    ;)
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    sarah_p wrote: »

Our landlord is now selling our house, and so we need to move.

Errr.. just because LL is selling your tenancy does not end: Has he given you notice (probably S21??). If you have not left by time house is sold your tenancy automatically moves to having new owner as landlord.

You do not have to permit views by surveyors, estate agents or prospective purchasers (but will seriously p*** off LL if you are unhelpful). Perhaps time for some negotiation?? e.g. get a really good reference from him now???

Suggest you explain your position to new landlords/agents & be upfront about things... quite a few will be prepared to then consider you, especially if you come with cracking good references & a clear history of always paying in-full on-time and no probs/complaints..

Hope it works out..

Artful
  • sarah_p_4
    Options
    Ah thanks Pott5y, good to know that others have successfully managed to rent without too many issues. I'm hoping that our good payment history & glowing inspection sheet should help us, too. I think honesty is the best policy- hopefully that will win us some brownie points!

artfuldodger, our contract actually expired in Spetember & they have not yet sent us new contracts- any idea where we stand in that situation? The letting agents just didn't talk to us when we asked for contracts and told us the landlord is unsure what he wanted to do- and then this week told us he wanted to sell, so we could live there until an offer was made and we would then be served notice. I'm sure we could speak to the landlord and maybe negotiate flexible viewings for a particularly good reference- he is quite a nice guy as it goes, so hopefully he should be reasonable about things as he's putting us in a difficult situation.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 October 2010 at 2:46PM
    Options
    Your contract did not expire.. It rolls on, month-by-month, (assuming you pay rent monthly) until you or landlord end tenancy. See..
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/ending_a_tenancy_or_licence/ending_a_periodic_agreement

You have all the same rights as when the "original", fixed-term, was going...

Sadly Landlord has the right to sell the place and also to give you notice. He has to give you at least 2 months notice. When did the tenancy start & was the deposit protected?? (Answer affects if landlord notice is valid or not..). You have the right to "quiet enjoyment" of your home and not to allow visits if you don't want them (at all or only at times that suit...)

Cheers!

Artful
  • Max_Marley
    Options
    I took an a rented property through a LA when I was in a DMP. The paperwork asked if I was bankrupt, CCJs etc and although none applied I did volunteer to the agent that my credit history was in a bad way. Their view was that as long as I was earning more than 2.5 times annual rent and I'd not defaulted on any rental payments with my previous landlord there wouldn't be a problem. I also had an excellent reference from my previous landlord which is invaluable. Be honest but reassure.

The vast majority of people who rent do so because their finances are not in good enough shape to get a mortgage (or simply can't afford it) so LAs and Landlords don't expect all tenants to have a squeaky-clean credit history. It's the lay of the land when it comes to renting.

On a slightly different note, appearance means so much. When going to a viewing with LA or agent, go smartly dressed. Look professional and like you care. If you're driving to a property make sure your car is as clean as possible. It tells the LA or LL that you're smart, professional people who look like they'll take care of the property. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Good luck.

Max
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family