The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Is this a boiler room scam

Comments

• pjrossiter
    pjrossiter Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 25 January 2010 at 5:49PM
    Just to prove that these conmen won`t go away. In 2007 I was conned into buying shares in Evolution Global Capital Partners (EGCA).Soon after they were suspended by the SEC in the US.Realised my dosh was done and vowed never to be caught out again. Now just last week have been contacted by "The Madden Group Inc.,Buffalo N.Y. willing to buy my shares for $14 per share......
    no way! Very dodgy looking web-site.I emailed the SEC in the US and they say
    EGCA never fulfilled any requirements for reinstatment....Be warned.
  • Hi Reaper.

Thanks for your comments, I have read all the thread but have not seen any mention of Wilkins Fairbrother International.
  • agsnu
    agsnu Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    acar wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments, I have read all the thread but have not seen any mention of Wilkins Fairbrother International.

From the second post:
    It is safe to assume that anyone cold calling offering a great deal in obscure US shares is a scammer. The chances of them being actually based in London is minimal - if they were, they would be breaking either the FSA registered share dealer regulations by cold calling, or the law by not being FSA registered.

Note: ANYONE. Not just Gresham Associates. The same is true of all of these people.

Post #16 points you to http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Law/Alerts/overseas.shtml - where Wilkins Fairbrother is listed.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,277
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks agsnu. You could also add post 5 where I explain scams often share the same addresses.

In that post I mention a known scam address is 18 Ave Louis Casai, Geneva
    On their web site Wilkins Fairbrother International list their Swiss address as: 17 Ave Louis Casai, Geneva
    I think you can safely assume it is all one building.
    Their London address is also an one regularly used by scammers.

acar - the names are changed regularly. When I said read the rest of the thread I meant learn to spot the signs of a scam. This one is a carbon copy of the others. It is irrelevant which name they are using this week.
  • pjrossiter wrote: »
    Just to prove that these conmen won`t go away. In 2007 I was conned into buying shares in Evolution Global Capital Partners (EGCA).Soon after they were suspended by the SEC in the US.Realised my dosh was done and vowed never to be caught out again. Now just last week have been contacted by "The Madden Group Inc.,Buffalo N.Y. willing to buy my shares for $14 per share......
    no way! Very dodgy looking web-site.I emailed the SEC in the US and they say
    EGCA never fulfilled any requirements for reinstatment....Be warned.

Hello i had them ring me up offering to buy my shares at 15 dollars is this company for real can anyone help
    regards Jason:A
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,277
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Er... change your number?

Unless you are seriously asking whether to go ahead... no... surely not.
  • Reaper wrote: »
    Er... change your number?

Unless you are seriously asking whether to go ahead... no... surely not.

Had a friend who has check this company out he says they are a good company in the usa the thing is the shares are worth nothing what do i have to lose
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    jason1970 wrote: »
    Had a friend who has check this company out he says they are a good company in the usa the thing is the shares are worth nothing what do i have to lose
    You have the advance fee to lose, which they undoubtedly will charge you.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • nightwatchman
    nightwatchman Posts: 217 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2010 at 6:40AM
    Rent from BT a premium rate line & pass this number to them for any future contact.
    At list this way you will be able to scam them for £1.50 per min.
    Si Deus pro nobis quis contra nos?
  • shuvoff wrote: »
    Gresham seem to have got the hint and haven't hassled anymore.

Getting rid of Wyncrest shares via Apex Consulting Online, which seem to be above board at least. They are trading them for PetroChina shares for a sum.

Gresham may now be 'sailing' under a different name. I receive a cold call from Charles Stanley Associates regarding the opportunity to get in on the 'ground floor' with Timberlake Energy at the 'amazing' price of 9.25 Euros !!!!! Considering that they are 'trading' in the US at $0.00 that IS amazing.
    No doubt you are aware that there is a respected and long standing broker of almost the same name, though minus the suffix 'Associates' with a 'phone no. 0045 69960355 [Denmark] though I have no intention of calling them to seal the once in a lifetime deal!!
    My apologies for rabbiting on somewhat but as they say 'every little counts'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure