PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lease Extension Problem with HSBC Mortgage

I had an offer accepted for 200k on a one bedroom flat where the lease was down to 77 years however the current owner was going to extend the lease to 99 years upon completion.

I used L&C as my mortgage broker and they got me a HSBC mortgage for 160k with myself providing a 40k deposit.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly until last week when my broker phoned and said that due to the valuation changing because of the expiring lease HSBC will now only lend 145k and apparently they will not change the valuation back until the lease is extended so it must be done before completion.

I thought it was fairly common that a lease extension be done on completion and the lender would accept that especially as all the paperwork is in order.

Am I going to have to go through the whole mortgage application process again with a different lender now?

I don't think the vendor has the finances in place to extend the lease before completion and I am now worried that if it is delayed further due to having to apply for another mortgage he will just pull out altogether.

Comments

• always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    richdeniro wrote: »
    I had an offer accepted for 200k on a one bedroom flat where the lease was down to 77 years however the current owner was going to extend the lease to 99 years upon completion.

I used L&C as my mortgage broker and they got me a HSBC mortgage for 160k with myself providing a 40k deposit.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly until last week when my broker phoned and said that due to the valuation changing because of the expiring lease HSBC will now only lend 145k and apparently they will not change the valuation back until the lease is extended so it must be done before completion.

I thought it was fairly common that a lease extension be done on completion and the lender would accept that especially as all the paperwork is in order.

Am I going to have to go through the whole mortgage application process again with a different lender now?

I don't think the vendor has the finances in place to extend the lease before completion and I am now worried that if it is delayed further due to having to apply for another mortgage he will just pull out altogether.

I haven't started my extension though from all reading I have done it never really just happens on completion. The current owner would need to serve a S42 for the statutory extension and that could take between 3 to 12 months or longer. Once served, they would then assign you the rights to continue but at completion time it will still be pending.

Informal extension might be quicker but usually not on better terms for you and the flat and still do take few months. Anything with a solicitor involved takes ages in England as I have discovered!
    EU expat working in London
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Informal extension might be quicker but usually not on better terms for you and the flat and still do take few months. Anything with a solicitor involved takes ages in England as I have discovered!

This is what happened on my last purchase. The vendor and the freeholder were on good terms and the freeholder was available and responsive, but the whole thing still took 8 months to resolve. If I had been buying with a mortgage, it would have expired by the time we were ready to exchange.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 October 2016 at 2:09PM

Yes - I would agree.

Has there been a misunderstanding somewhere?

I'd be tempted to call HSBC direct, to ask if they have a problem with lease extensions on completion.

Of course it could be something slightly different, like they have a problem with the specific informal lease extension that your seller has negotiated - perhaps the ground rent.

Edit to add...

For the benefit of other posters on the thread, what has presumably happened here is:

- The freeholder agrees to extend the lease on a specific completion date
    - The leaseholder agrees to sell the leasehold on the same completion date
    - The OP buys the new extended leasehold on that same completion date

So
    3 people simultaneously exchange contracts on the same day
    3 people simultaneously complete on the same completion day

So the freeholder has presumably already agreed the terms of the lease extension.

But if the freeholder hasn't agreed - that would be the cause of the problem.
  • always_sunny
    eddddy wrote: »

So the freeholder has presumably already agreed the terms of the lease extension.

In England, in the world if real estate buying nothing can be presumed till everything is exchanged and completed :eek:
  • eddddy
    In England, in the world if real estate buying nothing can be presumed till everything is exchanged and completed :eek:

What specific scenario are you suggesting might occur?

If you re-read my post, you'll see it says:

• eddddy wrote: »
    Yes - I would agree.

Has there been a misunderstanding somewhere?

I'd be tempted to call HSBC direct, to ask if they have a problem with lease extensions on completion.

Of course it could be something slightly different, like they have a problem with the specific informal lease extension that your seller has negotiated - perhaps the ground rent.

Edit to add...

For the benefit of other posters on the thread, what has presumably happened here is:

- The freeholder agrees to extend the lease on a specific completion date
    - The leaseholder agrees to sell the leasehold on the same completion date
    - The OP buys the new extended leasehold on that same completion date

So

But if the freeholder hasn't agreed - that would be the cause of the problem.

Could it be that the solicitor or broker hasn't done their job properly and informed HSBC of the details do you think?

I just spoke to the Estate Agent who seems to think that the lease has now been extended and we are just awaiting paperwork in the post so am now even more confused.
  • eddddy
    Could it be that the solicitor or broker hasn't done their job properly and informed HSBC of the details do you think?

That would be my first guess - which is why I suggested calling HSBC directly.
    I just spoke to the Estate Agent who seems to think that the lease has now been extended and we are just awaiting paperwork in the post so am now even more confused.

If that's the case, the seller should have a copy of the extension deed to hand - ask the EA to get a copy for you (so you have some real evidence) - as opposed to the word of a potentially confused EA.

And check the new ground rent! It could be an issue.
  • always_sunny
    What specific scenario are you suggesting might occur?

If you re-read my post, you'll see it says:

Can any of these 3 people pull out and no question asked?
  • eddddy
    Can any of these 3 people pull out and no question asked?

What is it that you don't you understand?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure