Is this miserly or just moneysaving?

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 28 August 2010 at 9:33AM
    I have one pair of shoes that now have holes in. I'm still wearing my maternity bras.

This reminds me of the 1970s - less women worked and had to beg their OHs for money. It makes me very sad.
    In his defence we are living on one income plus tax credits because I'm at home with our 2 kids under 3.
    Your OH is doing the best he can (ie working on a Saturday) but you have picked a man that cannot provide the lifestyle you want. I think you should consider doing something entrepeneurial with your time at home whilst looking afte the kids, maybe set up an online business, or take an evening job. Yes its will affect your tax credits but there is nothing like employment as a means of regaining financial independence and a bit of dignity.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why on earth do you need fizzy drinks - certainly hope your toddler has not been introduced to them.

We need a bedrail - tried freecycle but to no avail. Has been suggested that a large rolled up bulky towel slipped under the sheet may help solve the problem although we haven't tried it yet.

You should have new shoes and bra if yours are currently in that state - I would be tempted to wave them in front of him and demand replacements! Lots of sales on at the mo - everything 25% off in sainsburys clothing which is very good. He sounds a bit tight but not a miser, probably best to sit down when the kids are in bed and discuss it properly not when he's on his way out of the door to work. Your daughters' insecurities may well come from the atmosphere in the house and your new baby rather than the bed itself.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Your OH is doing the best he can (ie working on a Saturday) .......

Maybe assuming too much from that. :D

My OH regularly works Saturdays and Sundays but has days off through the week in lieu..it's just the way his shift pattern falls. Doesn't mean it's overtime or he's working any longer or harder than the basic job requires. ;)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    if he is the bread winner, they what he says goes. but if you have your own money, why not just buy it anyway? if i had my way id never buy anything in my household unless it was absolutely necessary.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • Why on earth do you need fizzy drinks - certainly hope your toddler has not been introduced to them.

I like to have a diet fizzy drink mid afternoon to help with my diet to keep the sweet cravings at bay. And no my toddler has never had any fizzy drinks.
  • Dave101t wrote: »
    if he is the bread winner, they what he says goes. but if you have your own money, why not just buy it anyway? if i had my way id never buy anything in my household unless it was absolutely necessary.

He is the breadwinner, I'm a sahm so don't have any income. We think of his income as the family's.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I like to have a diet fizzy drink mid afternoon to help with my diet to keep the sweet cravings at bay. And no my toddler has never had any fizzy drinks.

Ditto.

Sometimes it's the only way I can get through a diet day, lol.

Admittedly it's not the best way, but we do what we need to. :)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    £80/week is a lot to spend.
    My shoes cost me £5 and are brilliantly comfortable, I went for a 6 mile walk in them yesterday, they're fake crocs.
    Bed rail ... take the bed apart, put the mattress on the floor
    Radios are £3-5 at the charity shop or car boot. Or even freecycle... or just ask people you know and somebody might have one kicking about.
    Lunches/meals out - they're a luxury I'd not have except one special meal per year (xmas eve I used to go out for lunch at a £7 carvery).
    Bras - well, I wouldn't want anybody to see the state of the ones I've got. I tend to buy about 4 from a shop like Matalan/wherever, every 2-3 years or so... but still keep the old ones as the new ones are 'for best'
    Haircuts - I only have mine done when it's essential, at the cheapest place I can find. I have a dry cut (not paying for it being washed/dried then), having to have it cut more often than usual at the moment due to short-notice job interviews, so I've had it cut twice this year already.

And all the above ... is with my own hard-earned money. It's easier to spend it than to earn it. You can only spend it once, on one thing, then it's gone forever.
  • Threebabes
    Threebabes Posts: 1,271
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think he sounds tight.

I more or less buy what I want. Like you Im a SAHM and my hubby brings in the money, which we use for our family. I dont see it as his money at all, we both have the same monthly allowance but I tend to spend more, buying the kids and house things. I wouldnt even ask my dh if I could buy pop, I would buy it anyway. In asda the cheap make pop isnt much. I would go and buy the bedrail. I think you should go and buy some shoes as well.

£80 a week for shopping isnt too bad. I budget £100 a week for a family of 5, 3 kids are 14, 10 and 6.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I called my OH a miser before he went off to work this morning...poor man :o

Does he sound tight to you or just sensible with money and looking at the bigger picture????

A bed rail - you NEED this

A radio/cd player for the kitchen - these are cheap enough

Cans of fizzy drink - not unreasonable

driving more than a 5 mile radius from our house - I only drive what I need to. Do you need to drive more, if so do.

You need shoes & bras, you can get your hair done at a local college for little money.

He does sound a bit of a tightwad:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport