PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recommend an Old Style Book?

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Any book that has sold almost forty MILLION copies...

..oh... that'd be the Be-Ro book then :)

Order details at the bottom of This Page
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    squeaky wrote:
    Any book that has sold over forty MILLION copies...

..oh... that'd be the Be-Ro book then :)
    Or the bible ... that's quite a nice, old style book ... :D
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • spendaholic
    Are you on a commission?
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Just a mission :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • spendaholic
    Mrs Beeton's book is quite a good one too. And "Victorian Household Hints: useful hints & tips to keep a well managed household". (Don't you just love a snappy title?)
  • And anybody who gets an organic veg box will appreciate Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book which has loads of ideas and recipes for all the weird and wonderful veg you get in your weekly box:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140273239/
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have to agree wholeheartedly with the "More with Less" cookbook, and also the Tightwad Gazette. I know what raeble means by there being a lot that is not relevant to international readers, but it was the principles of how to look at things that I found so helpful, rather than individual tips as such, and to be fair, I think that is how Amy Da-whats-her-name intended it to be used.
    Can I also recommend "Kitchen in the Hills" by Elizabeth West. She & her dh lived on a very primitive smallholding in Wales in the 1960s and she wrote a book about their adventures called "Hovel in the Hills", and this is the recipe book giving some of the recipes she used. I don't know if it is still in print or not.
    And of course, as spendaholic said,
    Or the bible ... that's quite a nice, old style book ...
  • spendaholic
    There was another that I couldn't remember the name to, but I've found it now: The Compleat Housewife. That one carries government-type warnings not to try to the tinctures and cures without proper medical advice, but it's still a nice "cosy" book to have on the shelf.
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just a few more
    John & Irma Mustoe, The Penny Pincher's Book [some v gd tips and some are awful like hanging up a dead bird in your garden as a scarer,#. Ugh!!] Available through the library
    Jasmine Birtles A Bit On The Side [unusual ways to boost your income]
    Delia Smith, Frugal Food [haven't actually clapped eyes on this one]
    Regards
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Ive just got this handy hardbacked book today from our town discount bookshop

Natural Cleaning - products & methods by Sarah Green (march 2005)
    It contains 'cheap,effective enviromentally friendly soloutions for your household'
    uses for borax, bicarb, essential oils, soda crystals etc.

It was only £2.00 but says £4.99 on the back.
    If anyone wants me to get them a copy and post it on I'd be happy too as there was about 4 copies left. (70p to post) just pm me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure