Cost - running a gas fire vs central heating

dweeby
dweeby Posts: 238 Forumite
Hi,

As the evenings are getting a little cooler (we're in the North!), wifey is wanting some heat - she doesn't carry the natural insulation that I have...

Is the gas fire in the lounge set on low, cheaper to run than the central heating? Or can we heat the whole house for a simillar cost to the gas fire?

Both the fire and ch are very old. The house is 4-bed detached, but fairly well insulated.

TIA!
Andy
The older I get, the better I was...

Comments

• Not sure of the BTUs of either but in general you would be better running your gas fire if you do not need the heat else where. Its even cheaper to give her a seeping bag:D
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Hi Dweeby, suppose you could work it out, tho central heating will need a few days to warm up the walls.
    Have always believed that hot rooms will equalise with cold areas given the chance.
    Can't see staying in one room all evening would work, I mean you gotta have a pee or put the cocoa on. Then the second the door opens, WHOOSH, you've heated the kitchen wherever.
  • I looked into my mothers gas/ electric bills and was astounded to find she uses 4 times as much gas as us. Granted she is in an old 3 bed semi mostly double glazed with 2 old gas fires on low 24 hrs a day (retired) during the winter months. One of the fires has a back boiler for the hot water, she lives on her own and the house is in a town. We on the other hand 3 of us live in a detached, 1 at home 24 hours a day ish, in a 20 year old house, double glazed with original gas boiler / hot water (not combi). We also live next to open land with a strong north westerly wind many a day. I need not say what I think.:p Mind you the SUN is out as I type this:cool:
  • dweeby
    John_3:16 wrote: »
    Not sure of the BTUs of either but in general you would be better running your gas fire if you do not need the heat else where. Its even cheaper to give her a seeping bag:D
    I think a seeping bag is the answer!

I just checked out our gas fire, it is rated at 3.5kw when on full. The central heating boiler is rated at 15kw.

At it's lowest setting, the fire might use ~1kw, whereas the c/h would be the full 15kw - but on and off as required. So in short, the gas fire on low is likely to be much more economical. But, as Ken68 pointed out, it's only one room, and only until the door is opened!
    Andy
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Haven't I read somewhere that most of your 1kw from a gas fire goes up the flue? Especially if it's not fairly new. Not as straightforward as comparing figures, I think.

I think at this time of year, I prefer to warm the house for half and hour/an hour when you settle down in front of the TV and maybe another half hour or so top up when it cools down. Not sure if that's a lot more expensive than a gas fire, but it warms our cold, damp bathroom too. You can always turn the rads in bedrooms right down (assuming they have thermostatic controls).

What does your wife prefer?
  • Get yourself a poodle hair micro fleece throw/blanket!** Not from Amazon, though, you can pick these up for 6 smackeroos in most markets.

We've got a few of them and they are great, save loads in fuel costs as well. Only problem is our Schnauzers have taken a bit of a liking to them and refuse to let anybody else use them without a bit of a fight :D .

** Please be aware that NO poodles were harmed in the making of this product...
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • dweeby
    Get yourself a poodle hair micro fleece throw/blanket!** Not from Amazon, though, you can pick these up for 6 smackeroos in most markets.
    Never heard of them before, but a quick google revealed all! Look good, might order one... found 'em on ebay for £6.99 (+pp).

Magentasue's comments about going up the flue? our fire sits proud of the wall (and therefore flue), and on setting 1 of 4 heats the room really well.

What does my wife prefer? whole house heated to 23 degrees C! of course...
    Andy
  • We run a gas fire in each of two rooms and I deceded to check out the cost against putting on the central heating instead.

We turned on just the two fires, as the gas meter needle hit zero, and noted the needle rotation for 15 minutes exactly.

We then did the same for the central heating.

The needle went around just under 2 1/2 times MORE with the central heating.

I suggest anyone try this to satisfy themselves for their own home conditions.
  • Mazio_2
    Mazio_2 Posts: 347 Forumite
    I would think you would need to run both systems for several days with the outside temp being similar to get a more accurate result,

You have to remember the initial startup for central heating uses the most gas because it has to heat the circulating water through the rads from cold as well as heat the room .

My system can use nearly 1/4 of the total gas for the 18 hours its usually on if some ones in all day in the first 1-1 1/2 hours then its only ticking over for the rest of the day, Remember this is to heat every room (as we are upto 6 adults and children) in the house as well.

Gas fires can be as low as 40% efficient as well ( or 80% +) so most of the heat goes up the flue/chimney but every house is different so you will need to test it.
    Look after the pennies and the pounds will spend themselves
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport