wiring + cooker installation quote

Hi everyone, can you give me your opinion on this? We bought a new single oven and hob but it turns out the power supply running to our existing (broken) oven is too low (probably explains why the oven is broken...)

We've been quoted £350, inc VAT for the following:

-Disconnect and remove existing cooker
-Supply, wire and connect the proper wiring and cooker switch
-Connect new hob and oven
-Test and certificate work on completion

Does this sound ok to you? TBH, I was expecting more around £200, but I know next to nothing about wiring really! The electricians have been recommended by a friend, so I don't mind paying a wee bit more for someone reliable... but I don't want to be taken for a mug either!

Kind of urgent situation as life is not much fun without a cooker.

Many thanks for any advice

Vicky

Comments

• I think you could do it for less

The existing cooker circuit could be used for the oven, and a seperate circuit ran for the hob.

Then it's only 1 extra circuit- approx £150-£250
    (including updating the gas / water bonds as appropriate)
    baldly going on...
  • oops I should have said - both oven and hob are electric
  • but it turns out the power supply running to our existing (broken) oven is too low (probably explains why the oven is broken...)

We've been quoted £350, inc VAT for the following:

-Disconnect and remove existing cooker
    -Supply, wire and connect the proper wiring and cooker switch
    -Connect new hob and oven
    -Test and certificate work on completion

If they are his words they are puzzling ? I could understand cable is not sufficient to take load of cooker or that fuse was not sufficient etc but not what he has written
    (If it was not sufficient to take the load of your existing oven then the fuse would blow or cable would have melted etc?)

Is he is replacing the circuit? (running the cable back to the consumer unit)
    Or just replacing cooker outlet and connecting hob and oven
    If it’s the latter then it’s a high quote normally a few hours work

A lot of fitted standard single ovens are now feed from 13 amp plug, check the loading of the oven does it come with a plug?
  • Hi Brightontraveller... the "supply, wire and connect the proper wiring and cooker switch" were my words, not his. I was summarising just for sake of quickness, but probably have summarised wrongly! What the electrician quoted for exactly was:

To supply, wire, erect and connect the following:
    1 - 40amp MCB
    1 - 45amp double pole cooker switch
    1 - cooker connection unit
    1 - 1 gang switch socket

We had actually originally arranged for Currys to install the oven when they delivered it, and it was their installation guys who said that the wiring wasn't up to scratch. So we got a bit of a refund from Currys because it didn't get installed, which can be put towards the cost of an electrician.

Hope this makes things clearer! In any case we don't want to keep the existing oven, we inherited it when we moved in the flat and its a cheapy from B&Q, utter s***te, although now I know its performance was hindered by a dodgy power supply!!

Vicky
  • A lot of it depends on how the cable is run from the consumer unit(fuse board)( surface clipped, enclosed in trunking, recessed under floor or in ceiling void) to the cooker and the distance ( cable length )

EDIT surface clipped will prob. be the cheapest , this does depend on the installation eg. it may be easier & quicker for him to run the cable under the floorboards

What is the rating in watts of oven and hob?

Most ovens require less than 13A(3kw) & can sometimes be connected with a fused plug to the kitchen ring main circuit( providing you have one).

This could then enable you to connect the higher rated hob to the existing cooker circuit provided the hob doesn't require more than 30A supply.(6.9kw)

This is all assuming you have a 6.0mm cooker circuit( fed from a 32A MCB).

From the quote it sounds(looks) like he intends to install a 10.0mm cable to feed both appliances. And 10.0mm cable is well pricey!

It's so difficult to advise without seeing the installation as there are so many factors to consider .
    "Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into someone else's nonsense, tell yourself: Not my circus, not my monkeys." - Mark Borkowski.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure