Reclaiming VAT on front door

I live in a house that has been converted into two flats. I live on the ground floor and the owner of the first floor flat has rented it out via an agency.
With his agreement I have replaced the front door as the old one was warping. He agreed to pay half the costs of the new door, he now wants the invoice for his records and "tax purposes"
Does it mean that he can claim back the VAT on the door? If so, shouldn't I be getting half of the refund?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Unlikely to be for VAT purposes, but they will probably be offsetting the cost against their taxable rental income.
  • mexicano
    mexicano Posts: 51 Forumite
    OK then. Will they be able to claim for the whole cost of the door or just half? I suppose HMRC won't know that there are two flats.
    Thanks
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mexicano wrote: »
    OK then. Will they be able to claim for the whole cost of the door or just half? I suppose HMRC won't know that there are two flats.
    Thanks

If you agreed to half the costs then what is the issue in giving the paperwork to the LL, What he uses it for is none of your concern really.

I'm just telling you how it is.
  • mexicano
    Thanks for your input Stevie, very helpful.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    With his agreement I have replaced the front door as the old one was warping. He agreed to pay half the costs of the new door

You agreed to pay for the door.
    He agreed to pay half your costs.
    Has he paid you half your costs?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Is he VAT registered? You can check this by checking any invoices/receipts he has sent you, as these should have his VAT number on them.

If there is no VAT number, then he's not VAT registered.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,
    mexicano wrote: »
    I live in a house that has been converted into two flats. I live on the ground floor and the owner of the first floor flat has rented it out via an agency.
    With his agreement I have replaced the front door as the old one was warping. He agreed to pay half the costs of the new door, he now wants the invoice for his records and "tax purposes"
    Does it mean that he can claim back the VAT on the door? If so, shouldn't I be getting half of the refund?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

So you wanted a new door and he agreed to share the cost with you?

Which means you got a new door half price?

Are you happy with the new door, does it do the job?
  • mexicano
    He hasn't paid me yet. I am emailing him the invoice today and then he will pay me his half of the invoice.
    I am happy with the door and very happy that I only had to pay half.
    Thanks all for your comments.
  • mexicano wrote: »
    Thanks

Should only be half though that may not stop him from trying to claim the entire cost of the door against his tax bill. That's not your concern though.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Your OP implies provision of the invoice wasn't part of the agreement. You could tell the owner that you also intend to rent yours out, therefore making it assessable for CGT when eventually sold. This invoice could be set against any capital increase in value, therefore it has a value. On this basis you could negotiate 'compensation' for him getting your share of its value.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure